Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 f250 crew 4x4 7.3L auto trans. I have noticed the last couple days when moving the shifter to put the truck in gear it is not falling in the correct place. Its pretty much like i have to go past drive or reverse then move it back toward the correct location to get it into gear. Is there any adjustments that can be made? I have never had a problem with the trans at all has 143k so i figure it must be in the shifter cable or linkage?? thanks for any info
Mark

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
There is a Lot of slop in the linkage, it's a pretty poor design..... Not uncommon to have the bolts that support the shift tube back-off.

Take the clamshell cover from around the steering column (3 long screws from underneath + you have to pull the Key Cylinder) and work the shifter. You'll see where all the movement is, hopefully you can just retighten :wink[3]:

(while you're in there, tape-up the OD button wires that chafe at the bottom of the stalk)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it appears that is not the problem i have the clamshell off and the bolts are tight. After driving it yesterday i went to put it in park and thought it was and all of a sudden the truck is rolling forward. Now with the clamshell off today i try to put the truck in park without it running and cant go any further than reverse. I know its in reverse because my backup lights are on. It does appear the pastic peice in between the collar where the two bolts are is worn but i dont think that is causing my problem. Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Got under the dash and found out there was a one bolt completely missing and another that was starting to come loose. The two bolts mount the shifter rod to the bracket that connects the shifter cable. If you have this problem look under the column/dash where the cable meets the bracket. Should be two torx type bolts. I fixed the problem by replacing the bolts and using locktite.

Now i know where that bolt came from i found on the floor last year. I just assumed it came from something else since im always messing with something. Now i know lol

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
UPDATE: Got under the dash and found out there was a one bolt completely missing and another that was starting to come loose. The two bolts mount the shifter rod to the bracket that connects the shifter cable. If you have this problem look under the column/dash where the cable meets the bracket. Should be two torx type bolts. I fixed the problem by replacing the bolts and using locktite.

Now i know where that bolt came from i found on the floor last year. I just assumed it came from something else since im always messing with something. Now i know lol
Had that happen to me. I was wondering WTF is this bolt from when I found it on the floor. The other was about to fall out. When I found were they belong after nit being able to go into gervthe next day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts