Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 CCLB 4x4 with about 45,000 miles. I just picked it up a few weeks ago and don't know much about the history but the last week or so I have had intermittent issues with shifting into drive and reverse. When shifting from Park to Drive/Reverse it doesn't seem to be engaging. There isn't any slop or resistance in the shift lever, the indicator moves appropriately, but when I step on the gas it just revs up as if I were still in neutral. I usually just put it back in park and try putting it in gear again and it will work fine the next time. Going down the road there are absolutely no issues, slipping, etc... it's just shifting between Park, Drive and Reverse. Is this as simple as worn out shift linkage under the dash or is this indicative of larger issues? What kind of diagnostics should I be running to figure out where the problem lies?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2004 CCLB 4x4 with about 45,000 miles. I just picked it up a few weeks ago and don't know much about the history but the last week or so I have had intermittent issues with shifting into drive and reverse. Going down the road there are absolutely no issues, slipping, etc... it's just shifting between Park, Drive and Reverse. Is this as simple as worn out shift linkage under the dash or is this indicative of larger issues? What kind of diagnostics should I be running to figure out where the problem lies?
What "issues"? Not engaging? Delayed engagement? Harsh engagement? Play in the shifter?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sorry, I should have been way more specific. When shifting from Park to Drive/Reverse it doesn't seem to be engaging. There isn't any slop or resistance in the shift lever, the indicator moves appropriately, but when I step on the gas it just revs up as if I were still in neutral. I usually just put it back in park and try putting it in gear again and it will work fine the next time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, sorry, I should have been way more specific. When shifting from Park to Drive/Reverse it doesn't seem to be engaging. There isn't any slop or resistance in the shift lever, the indicator moves appropriately, but when I step on the gas it just revs up as if I were still in neutral. I usually just put it back in park and try putting it in gear again and it will work fine the next time.
I would start by using a pressure gauge, about $35 on Amazon and testing the line pressure in each gear. If it were not intermittent and a constant then I'd suspect TC, however being intermittent points towards solenoid failure, or possible direct drive clutches. Is the truck tuned?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never dealt with anything even remotely transmission related before so bear with me. What would an acceptable pressure reading be for the gears? I've read 50psi, is that accurate and is that true for all gears? If the gear(s) fall short of that what does that indicate?

The truck is not tuned. It's studded but not deleted (won't pass inspection without an EGR). Other than that it's almost entirely stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've never dealt with anything even remotely transmission related before so bear with me. What would an acceptable pressure reading be for the gears? I've read 50psi, is that accurate and is that true for all gears? If the gear(s) fall short of that what does that indicate?

The truck is not tuned. It's studded but not deleted (won't pass inspection without an EGR). Other than that it's almost entirely stock.
The pressures should be close to as follows
Range, Idle Speed, Stall speed
P/N, 50psi
R, 100psi. 320psi
D, 70psi, 320psi
3, 80psi, 260psi
2, 80psi. 215psi
1, 80psi. 270psi
Picture is attached of the location of where this port is. There is a good write up on here of all the steps. For me, I have had 3 tranny's fail due to the direct drive clutches. However with no tuning and low miles, I doubt you should be encountering something serious. If there is no play in the linkage there is also a write up to adjust the linkage, however if you are able to get it engaged after a few tries, I dont think your linkage should be adjusted. I am no technician, just from personal experiences. If your near IL I can ship you a test gauge. I should have started with this, but how is your fluid? Level? Smell burnt? How many miles on it? Is the truck used for towing heavy?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is super helpful, thanks for the info. I'm in VT these days, but I appreciate the offer. I'll probably just pick up a gauge for myself. I'll check back in a few days once I'm able to test it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is super helpful, thanks for the info. I'm in VT these days, but I appreciate the offer. I'll probably just pick up a gauge for myself. I'll check back in a few days once I'm able to test it.
Hope it helps, I would certainly change your fluid ASAP, as it only takes a small particle to cause issues in the solenoid. The Direct drive solenoid is known to fail in these causing engagement issues in reverse, and usually brings a 3-5 shift flare, typically by the time it gets bad enough to notice the flare, it's to late and the clutches are gone. Fluids cheap compared to a trans. Just my 2c

1 - 8 of 8 Posts