Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about putting a shift kit in my truck, but have little/no experience with them. I drive a 2002 CCSB 7.3 auto 4x4 with 122K. I just got a Edge Juice w/ Attitude from a buddy. He went to a DP tuner. The Juice worked fine for him because he has a rebuilt tranny with all the goodies. The only tranny option on the Juice is to defuel at shifts. My old truck was a F150 and I used a Superchips Flashpaq with it. I could adjust tranny shift points and pressure with that, no such luck now. It worked great for towing/changing back to daily driving. I don't tow a lot, and only 7500 lbs (for now) but I don't want to ruin the tranny. It shifts butter smooth right not. It is also my daily driver and I don't want to have a sore neck. Do you think the kit is in order, if so, do I go with the in-valve bady type or an electric one like the Trans-command from Banks? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you don't want to ruin the tranny I would look into custom tunes and a valve body. Custom tuning is going to be way better for the trans, edge has been known to cause some tranny problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Edge doesn't do custom tunes, I asked them. That is why I am thinking about an upgrade to the tranny. I don't want to scrap the Edge already, I just got it. A friend gave it to me. It has 2 of the 3 things I need. 1-Performance tuning, 2- egt, temp and boost gauge, 3-tranny modification. I know there is a BullyDog kit that is only $90, but I think I want the adjustability of something like the Trans Command. That's why I am asking for other experience/opinions.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
keep the insite, get custom tunes, get bts valve body

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think TS makes a trans controller, prob still going to need an upgraded valve body though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why would I need custom tunes? Everybody on here always says that. My truck is stock. What would the "custom" part of the tunes be? I would need to get rid of the Edge I just got. That doesn't make sense. The truck the Edge came off had 6637 intake, MBRP exhaust, rebuilt tranny, 6" lift on 35's, ARB lockers front and back, etc. It is a friend of mine and he is a mechanic, said the truck ran GREAT! I just want to know if anyone has experience with the shift kits good or bad. I am not looking for ways to spend money on this truck, just want to keep it in one piece.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it ran great and worked well why did he sell it and get custom tunes?

Something to think about. Edge is junk in these trucks.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Custom tunes take the tranny into account. They will change shift points and boost line pressure to help the tranny live with added hp. The edge won't do that. You asked what was good for the tranny we told you, and now you argue. If you want the tranny to live get a valve body and custom tunes, that the best chance you can give a stock 4r100 with added power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Custom tunes take the tranny into account. They will change shift points and boost line pressure to help the tranny live with added hp. The edge won't do that. You asked what was good for the tranny we told you, and now you argue. If you want the tranny to live get a valve body and custom tunes, that the best chance you can give a stock 4r100 with added power.
I understand that custom tunes take the tranny into account. I get that. What I don't understand is why I would need to scrap the Edge and get something else that is going to do the same thing (plus control the tranny) when I can just add to the tranny. Do YOU have an opinion on the shift kits? I have called two local transmission shops that are recommended, they both said I don't need a TC or valve body for what I am going to pull and how often I will pull it. They both suggested shift kits. Just different brands. I am curious if anyone has had good or bad experience with these kits.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it ran great and worked well why did he sell it and get custom tunes?

Something to think about. Edge is junk in these trucks.

He is going the twin turbo/second hpop/bigger injector route, along with a bunch of other stuff, and needs the DP with custom tunes.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put a BTS valve body in mine and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Or if you want to go the inexpensive but effective route, get a Transgo tugger shift kit for it. It works great, but the trans needs to completely come out in order to install the 'full' kit. You can also opt to do it without the pump mod, which is what I did and mine is holding together very well so far, through a superchips tuner and now my PHP tuner. I think the kit is 100 bucks or so from summit.

TransGo Tugger Reprogramming Kits 4R100-HD2 - SummitRacing.com

I do agree with everyone else, ditch the tuner and get a chip with a couple of tunes. Try beans, they have a great rep as well as PHP.

enjoy!

Scott

·
Registered
797 Posts
Which edge do you have? Some tuners can load their custom tunes onto it and still leave you the digital gauges..

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Keep the edge you just got and enjoy! As for the shift kits that is up to you. The TUGGER kit scotty just suggested would be right if you install it fully by removing the tranny! But if some of the tranny shops you TRUST?? have a kit that will firm up your shifts for less, it will be better than stock. IMO getting a 6.0 cooler 26 or 31 row and keeping it cool will be a good investment first off. I've been broken down with an auto and you are stuck with no way out but a tow truck. My rig weighs 9200 empty and even though i didn't need it at the time i went down to john woods in holtville and had mine built up. Great guy!!!! By the way a friend is about to install a BANKS transcommand on his truck and i will try and post results if you want.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
^ please explain what you know about tuning. You have in your sig the most notorious tune for blowing motors.

I understand that custom tunes take the tranny into account. I get that. What I don't understand is why I would need to scrap the Edge and get something else that is going to do the same thing (plus control the tranny) when I can just add to the tranny. Do YOU have an opinion on the shift kits? I have called two local transmission shops that are recommended, they both said I don't need a TC or valve body for what I am going to pull and how often I will pull it. They both suggested shift kits. Just different brands. I am curious if anyone has had good or bad experience with these kits.
Because the edge is crappy tuning. The tranny shops you called obviously don't know the 4r100 a valve body is a "shift kit" for a 4r100. In a stock truck, yes it isn't necessary. With tuning it becomes necessary, the 4r100 doesn't like added power. Edge is horrible tuning for these truck, along with bully dog, banks, superchips etc. The tuning programs they use are the ones bill from php wrote in something like 2003, custom tuners are constantly changing. Hate to say it but the edge was a bad investment, live with that and move on. I would recommend you call either Brian's truck shop or john wood automotive and order a valve body from them and quit di**ing with local places that don't know your transmission and haven't made a living out of that one transmission. Custom tunes and a valve body and be done.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
The DP tunes 80 econo?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Google dp 80e tune and read a little bit. I bet you never use that tune again. It is notorious for spitting rods and cracking blocks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If dp's 80e is soo bad why have I not herd anything about it yet on this forum? I have been running it for about 6 months along with other tunes and so far i love the way they perform.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
If he is going twin turbo, twin hpop and such.....Id go with someone other than DP lol..

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
i have the tugger kit in my truck and it shifts hard with my php chip. ivwish i would have had the valve body installed instead.
the edge will work but....less power,higher egts, and the edge juice does not even adjust the tranny shift points for added power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts