Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

She's under the knife, My build thread. Lots' Pics.

324785 Views 728 Replies 110 Participants Last post by  Tuscany
Well guys after months and months of waiting it has finally started. :eek:hnoes:

On Friday I started on my 6.0 shopping list of all the parts I was gonna need to stud/play. I have a whole heaping pile'o parts coming in the mail all week this week. Fed-ex and UPS are gonna hate me by the end of the week lol.

So instead of doing a write-up on how to do it I decided to just take some pics here and there just showing the progress of my build. I think the head studs and gasket swap has been thoroughly covered enough.

With my build I decided for now that I'm just going to stud it and finish up the rest of the updated parts. For the go fast goodies I decided to go with a Hybrid from Adrain and have Jesse build me a set of 175's. Eventually I will end up with a ficm tuner. (probably sooner than later, after installing my dashboss I found that my ficm is starting to go. Running at 47-47.5 but sometimes falling to 45v)

So here are the pics so far. This is only about 5 hours total at this point. Anyone who is considering doing this job. DO IT it's not that hard at all. It all comes apart pretty easily. Just stay organized take pics if you have to and TAKE YOUR TIME. The key to success in this is not to get in a big hurry and screw something up. And just for reference all this is being done with only two power tools and no air tools. All I have for power tools is 1 - 3/8" drive cordless impact gun and 1 - 1/2" drive cordless impact. Everything else is all hand tools ratchets sockets wrenches etc.

That wraps up day one. Hopefully tomorrow weather permitting I can get the passenger side inner wheel well out, pull the a/c evaporator, pull the fan, pull the turbo and get the oil filter stand pipe and housing out so I can pull the intake manifold. I'll keep you updated. Lol wish me luck.
See less See more
Reactions: 1
41 - 60 of 729 Posts
I'm pulling the inner fender well to pull the evaporator core.
If I were doing this in an air conditioned shop like most techs do....
:hehe:

Techs get AC?! Not in FL they dont!
I'm pulling the inner fender well to pull the evaporator core.
I can't remember if your truck is a 05 or not. Is yours different?
It's an 05. And even just being in a shop where the sun isn't beating down on you all day makes a huge difference.
Looking good so far I hope u get that #2 bit soon
I'll be going to get it in the morning.
$20 for a #2 square bit?? i just picked up a 5 pack of 2" bits at lowes for $6 to finish replacing the tread plate on my trailer. s/s screws are hard on the bits.

lowes #177916
Yeah but I'd have $15 at least in gas to go all the way to lowes to get that. And it's not the same type of square bit your thinking about. I'll post pics tomorrow of it when I get it.
Hopefully he will get lucky and they will have a cheap one there when I checked the website for him today it said 20 bucks
Speaking of specialty tools where you able to find a long t40 for the injectors?
Yeah and it's a t45 picked up a whole pack at autozone for $14.99. They had a 4 pack that was like $16 and change of the duralasts but seeing as how I needed a t25-t27 I bought the great neck set that had all of them from t10-t55 I think it was, for $14.99.

EDIT: It was a T40 for the injector hold downs. I originally stated T45 because that is what I had been told. I am not exactly sure if that changed in the commonization of these engines in January of 2006.
If you go back to the middle of the first page I have a pic of what I like to call my bucket'o'tools lol. I have a bunch more tools at the ready but seriously everything I have done so far on this build all the tools I used are in that picture.
Great pictures. I'm about ready to do the same thing plus cools to my 04 Excursion.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I probably overlooked it but did you evacuate the a/c system and how did you do it? On my C1500, I just took the lines off...hehe
FYI the evap box will come right out without pulling the inner fender. Done it a couple hundred times. Takes a little finesse but really easy. If your shop materials say different it's lying to you. Not hard to remove either if it takes you longer than 20 minutes with the inner fender still in place I would be shocked.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?
The evap box could be removed with out the fender well but it is just so much easier with it out of the way
It pretty much personal preference some guys even leave the rad cac condenser and trans cooler in not me I want the most room possible to get my work done I'll spend an extra hour removing and installing a part as long as it makes the job go smoother and I don't have to fight with said part

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
I probably overlooked it but did you evacuate the a/c system and how did you do it? On my C1500, I just took the lines off...hehe
All you have to do is take the black plastic cap off of the line where you charge the system at on top of the evaporator. Stick a small screwdriver in the hole and press the little nipple down. Just make sure not to let it come out full blast or you will blow the oil out of the system and the charge pack inside will explode. It takes about 10 mins to drain the system doing it like this but you will save yourself money in the long run by doing it this way as you won't have to get the oil replaced when you get your system recharged.
So how long did it take you to remove the whole front grill and bumper?
Doesn't take long probably 1 hr if you take your time that's not including radiator it anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
AWesome writeup/pics man! Good luck!
41 - 60 of 729 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.