Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the word on Shell Rotella T6 5W40. I've been using this in my 2018 F-350 6.7L ever since the truck was new but now it's impossible to find. I've heard that Shell is lacking a certain additive and thus has not been able to make the product, but I don't know if this is true or not. Anybody out there have any information on T6? I may need to switch to another heavy-duty diesel oil 5W40 like Valvoline or Schaffer if I can't get Rotella T6.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interested to know too. I recently used motorcraft 10w30, due to non avail of T6. I think you are safe to use a different brand or weight, based on use, and of course oem filter.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
A lot of HDEO is hard to find in some areas these days. Everything from additives to bottles rely on materials from the orient where they can make stuff that poisons the earth without the EPA watching. Out of the three parts stores nearest to me I would have to mix 2 brands and 2 viscosities to do an oil change. Custom blend 7w35! There are a few threads around on it.

• Haha
Reactions: RMTZ07PS and SDER1

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I just did a quick look and found that both NAPA and Advance can have it shipped to store by 12/31 so it's out there. Somewhere. Lol.

Reactions: MtnTallPaul

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
It's 13 qts for a change, not to mention I'll just stash this away with the other 8 gallons I already bought a few months back (raided all the TSC I could). I think I got like another 2-3k of driving before a change is required.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w40 is great oil as well.
I am planning on giving this a try on my next oil change, since I could not find t6. I have used t6 for at least 8 years and have had my share of injector issues, coincidence :unsure: (Other thread) I had no voltage problems until recently (batteries) and a ficm issue about 6-8 years ago, and got it all resoldered and no problems since. But heard good things about the oil.

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
I'll say this....guys have ALREADY been using T6 over the last 3-4 years.....There's NO rampant issues with injectors that have happened with people that use ONLY T6 oil. I'm sure we would have read plenty posts about it. Plenty of those people run oil testing as well I bet so why hasn't that been reported/shown on testing reports??

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'll just stash this away with the other 8 gallons I already bought a few months back (raided all the TSC I could).
Contribution to the problem, lol. Just kidding

·
Premium Member
12,381 Posts
@oilcan1001 : Back story: I was always reading about T6 and how many people use it, especially here on .ORG. I for one was always a MC 10w30 guy....cause it worked. To better my own knowledge and opinion I made the effort to "drink the Kool-Aid" of sorts. So I set out to get a few oil change intervals worth of T6. It just so happens that the widely available (at the time) containers were 2.5 gallons or 1 gallon containers. I needed 13 qts per change...3 gallons + 1 qt. So I was buying to meet that as well as buy to have more than one oil change....actually planning on buying to run T6 for a calendar year.

So with that I found a few 2.5 gallon containers, along with 1 gallon containers to meet an expected 20-30k worth of driving over 2022. I did notice at that time it was hard to find, but ended up getting what I needed for 2022. It's now just dust on the shelves....I was surprised to find the 2 gallons yesterday....worse is there's NO oil filters for my 6.7L at Wal Marts I have hit.
Not to mention being able to speak to my results (experiences) with T6, I can speak while having experienced more than a single oil product which plenty people tend to do. I don't do oil testing as I feel it's not worth the costs over the long run. Oil testing has it's place, just not a place for people who will routinely change their oil within the intervals most tend to follow of 5k, 7.5k, or even 10k intervals. For the longest time I was a proponent of 7.5k intervals, using a 10k interval as an emergency situation back up.

BTW if you want some T6 I know a guy.....LOL

·
Registered
492 Posts
Reactions: HeavyAssault
1 - 20 of 102 Posts