Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 496 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you're reading this for the first time i can promise you its worth the time!!! it's full of pics and great info!!
My name is Zach, I'm 22 and I'm in the Army, active duty currently stationed in Washington DC but from Reno NV, where i bought the truck.
I've had her for over 3 years now, March 18th 2013 the day i bought her, and i was 19 at the time!
i had no idea at the time what i was getting myself into and come to realize i found the Gold Jem of 7.3s

it was a pain in the butt finding a truck, i was set on a 1999-2003 7.3L crew cab, i didn't want anything else, so after searching for weeks i finally one, i only found 3 that i wanted in like 50 mile range, but then i finally settled on getting this one!

picked her up for $13,000!!
which now (April 4th 2016) is one hell of a deal!!!
now a days that guy probably could have got $20,000 the way it was

it was equipped with

banks big hoss chip
banks 4" monster exhaust
Spectre cold air intake
8" super Lift
daul fox shocks up front
procomp traction bars
procomp daul steering stabilizer
5% tint all around
billet grille
stock all interior

This is the Day i brought her Home

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
What up Zack...Congrats on the new rig, man and thank you for your service :thumbsup:

One recommendation i say, is to dump the BANKS chip. If a must, get yourself a custom tuner/chip...GEARHEADS, TW, PHP...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What up Zack...Congrats on the new rig, man and thank you for your service :thumbsup:

One recommendation i say, is to dump the BANKS chip. If a must, get yourself a custom tuner/chip...GEARHEADS, TW, PHP...
ya when i get back from my deployment the truck should be paid off so i can throw some gooodies in it,
i want to dump the banks chip, i like it but it only has 1 setting and i want to be able to play with the settings, i want to get a DP Tuner programmer, my buddy has one and its pretty nice and simple

ive had this truck for about 9 months now, i got it at the end of march 2013, ive done a lot to it sense ive had it,

i'll post more when i get the chance

heres how she looks now

just a little teaser for you all
this was taken around july 2014,

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was dialed in on getting a 7.3l i started buying parts before i even had one!!!!

but i ended up buying
05-07 harley lights
05-07 black grille
08-13 tail lights
1800 watts kenwood amp
stinger amp wire kit
JVC double din stereo

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but once i got the truck i wanted, i started throwing parts on!!
first things were the easy one,
so i did the tail lights

they bolted right in, took me 15 minutes, the only thing i had to do was buy a new socket and bulb from Oriellys and wire it in for the back up lights and it worked out perfect, i love them!!
i hate that old foggy head light look, i like the clear new look

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then i threw in the JVC stereo and Subs with amp
i pulled the subs out of my old truck
they are 2 12" pioneer champion series in a truck box

the thing was i went to go put them behind the back seat and they didnt fit so i put them on the floor tell i figure out that if you take out the back seat and flip the bracket around underneath the seat yo gain about 2 to 3 inches and it worked out perfect, now my subs fit behind the seat with plenty of room and people still have plenty of leg room

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
then i replaced the drive line carrier my buddy whose a diesel mechanic said i should have it replaced before i drive down to Texas from Nevada, so i knocked it out in about an hour, the part was only like 30 bucks

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
id say she was looking pretty good!!
took her out 4 wheeling and she did pretty good, cruised up everything pretty good, didnt even really need 4 wheel

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so for now the day i was dreading for a while because this one was going some cutting, so once i did this there was no going back

the front end conversion
i was going to get the bumper but once i finished this i kind of like the look of the old school bumper with then new head lights and grille, i just had to paint the bottom plastic part black to match

now this looked just wrong,

so it finally started!! i was a little nervous cutting into it but it was defiantly worth it
so i took off the lights and grille

after i painted the bottom plastic piece

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
now she looked like a completely different truck!!!! crazy how much diffirence it made, total face lift!!

heres a little video i made of just cruising around testing my new camera
back in june of 2013

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rotated my ties and i thought id show you what im working with

looks like the guy before ordered the wrong size shocks, but nothing a grinders and welder cant fix later, just got to relocate the shock mounts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SOOOOOOOOOOOO i ran into a little problem when is started getting a little crazy hauling a$$ around town showing off,
i got home and started looking at and and i flipped sh!t when i saw this

long story short
its the front pump seal leaking because everything was getting super hot and expanding and leaking out the seal, it would only leak when id be pushing it hard a little while
but i could cruise it all day and get on it here and there and it wouldn't leak all day
but don't worry got it fix, you'll see

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
okay sense i didnt have the money to have the tranny dropped i thought id at least help the situation

i went down to Oriellys auto parts, bought me a bigger tranny cooler with 8 passes and a electric fan and some new hose because obviously the stock tranny cooler wasnt cutting it

it only took me about an hour to hook all this up, worked pretty good, i could actually tell a difference, i love it it only cost me around $120 bucks for everything,

it fit in there perfect with plenty of room to clear the grille
i wired up a switch to inside to control the fan
you cant even see it with the grille on,

ive had people ask me what motor is in because of the 6.0 clip and when i turn off the truck you can hear the fan going tell i turn it off and most poeple that know 7.3s know they dont have electric fans

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
then i did this little mod to the inside, i thought it cam out great

i wired in 4 LEDS and set them in the little compartment and set it up with the dome lights, so when every you open the doors the turn on with the dome lights and turn off with the doom lights,

they look way better in person, they just come out weird because of the color, its like mostly blue with a hint of neon purple

i liked it so much i installed 4 more LEDS on that panel that comes off under the steering wheel to light up my floor when i get in, ive get them set up so you cant see them all, you dont even know tell you open a door or turn on the dome lights

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
dig the compartment lights. You posted a pic with black wheels. Whats on their now? And if black, did you paint the existing ones, sincethey have the same pattern?

What wire/wires you tap into, for the led's

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
dig the compartment lights. You posted a pic with black wheels. Whats on their now? And if black, did you paint the existing ones, sincethey have the same pattern?

What wire/wires you tap into, for the led's
yes i just painted the existing one, im not really a chrome kind of guy

how i found the wire was i took apart the dome lights to see the positive wire color, then i found that wire hid in the dash in a bunch of wires just right of the speedo and just tapped into it and grounded it to a screw, i think its like a little grey and purple wire

·
Registered
825 Posts
First off, thanks for serving son. Did 28 years myself. It's a good life, long as you don't lose yours. Nice truck. Looks sharp. I keep seeing people putting the Harley lights in their trucks and I keep getting closer to doing it myself. My head lights are tinted from the PO, hate them, I use my off road lights too much because they're so dim. Well, maybe I'll drop hints to the wife for Christmas. Two other things I really like to see. A kid willing to learn to wrench on his own, and someone not afraid to go off roading in a big heavy truck. Good luck with the truck and Godspeed in your "travels".

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First off, thanks for serving son. Did 28 years myself. It's a good life, long as you don't lose yours. Nice truck. Looks sharp. I keep seeing people putting the Harley lights in their trucks and I keep getting closer to doing it myself. My head lights are tinted from the PO, hate them, I use my off road lights too much because they're so dim. Well, maybe I'll drop hints to the wife for Christmas. Two other things I really like to see. A kid willing to learn to wrench on his own, and someone not afraid to go off roading in a big heavy truck. Good luck with the truck and Godspeed in your "travels".
ya the Harley lights are definitely worth it!! brighter too, they came with a wiring harness so they just plugged right in and they came with all new bulbs

the only part i was sketched on doing was cutting the frame behind lights so the harley ones fit, but it was worth it, its super easy to cuz, i just got me a dremel tool and put a little grinding wheel on and i cut it out pretty east, its nice because that frame is fiberglass so that dremel cut like butter

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
so after saving up some money i was able to get my transmission fix for good,

i found this good transmission guy down in El Paso TX and he said he would replace the front pump and seal and all new fluids for $800.

the only reason i went to a mechanic was because i didnt have the tools or set up living in the barracks and honestly im okay with transmissions and for the price of me buying all the parts i wanted my transmission guy could put it for me for the same price

but he said he could fix the leak for $800 or rebuild the whole thing for $1500

i said **** it lets just have it rebuilt,
my mechanic said he was going to make this thing be able to go threw anything

so he put in a
triple clutch torque converter
new front pump with seal
Trans-Go shift kit
HD Rebuilt kit
new filter and fluids
drilled the inlet & outlet holes bigger so the fluid could flow through better
and new bigger lines to the transmission cooler
deleted the Inline Magnetic Automatic Filter so its just straight lines to the cooler
i guess i needed a new 1st gear and 4th gear, he said they were getting a little dark,
he showed them to me and they were getting pretty dark brown

but now that she's fix its like a whole new truck!!!! i can haul *** every where and it plants the power down really nice!!! takes off a lot smoother and faster!!
no more leaking!!! i love it, after everything it ended up costing me $1750 with a 1 year warranty or 12,000 miles

i put it to a little test when i got it back though

1 - 20 of 496 Posts