Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, please be patient. I'm really trying to take in all the information but this is all very new to me so I'd like to ask a few questions to hopefully clear up a few things. I'll start with the DPF delete. What, by itself, does this modification do? Is it a power increase, a fuel economy increase, or both? Next, it appears that this modification must be mated to a tune in order to work properly because the modification requires that your regeneration cease. Is this the case and if so.....why? Personally, I could certainly stand to see a fuel economy increase but based on all I've read and the claims made about fuel economy, I can't remember a case where someone posted their numbers prior to the DPF delete and tune. Last but not least, will all of this harm the truck or is it simply an emissions issue and nothing else? If it IS purely emissions, then how would a person handle the state inspection which is required yearly? Thanks very much for helping me out. As mentioned above, I'm new to the diesel world and need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
387 Posts
First off, please be patient. I'm really trying to take in all the information but this is all very new to me so I'd like to ask a few questions to hopefully clear up a few things. I'll start with the DPF delete. What, by itself, does this modification do? Is it a power increase, a fuel economy increase, or both? Next, it appears that this modification must be mated to a tune in order to work properly because the modification requires that your regeneration cease. Is this the case and if so.....why? Personally, I could certainly stand to see a fuel economy increase but based on all I've read and the claims made about fuel economy, I can't remember a case where someone posted their numbers prior to the DPF delete and tune. Last but not least, will all of this harm the truck or is it simply an emissions issue and nothing else? If it IS purely emissions, then how would a person handle the state inspection which is required yearly? Thanks very much for helping me out. As mentioned above, I'm new to the diesel world and need all the help I can get.
Hopefully I can help you out.

1. The DPF delete mod will remove the DPF system from the exhaust. The main goal in removing the DPF is decrease back pressure, and increase fuel mileage. But you will also have the option to increase the power of the truck by use of the tuner that is required for the DPF delete set-up. For actual pressure numbers I can say this. With the DPF in place according to my SCT display I had on average 8.5-10 Kpa of back pressure on the highway, now without the DPF I'm hardly getting a reading at all, about .03-.08 Kpa. Here's what I've been getting for fuel mileage numbers before and after:

Average With DPF: 17 Highway 14-15 City
Average W/O DPF: 20 Highway N/A City (Haven't had time yet)

2. Yes you must use a programmer to properly remove the DPF system. The programmer will remove any function of a regeneration cycle and prevent any check engine lights from coming on. If the DPF is removed w/o a programmer the truck will eventually go into a constant regeneration cycle and never stop. Basically this is a failsafe, the computer does not sense the DPF is clogged but it decides to regen after a certain amount of time just to make sure. And without the DPF and the back pressure and temperatures created from it during a regeneration the computer will just keep it in regen until it reaches the numbers, which can't happen without the DPF.

3. Ideally this should not harm the truck in any way. Basically the engine was tuned to run like the diesels prior the DPF's. So far I haven't heard of any issues or break-downs, but time will tell. As far as inspection goes it really depends on where you live and how strict they are. And if you can't get away with it reinstalling the DPF isn't that difficult. With the proper tools it can be done within and hour.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent response. Thank you very much. Now if you'd take it a step futher and bottom line it for me. What are all of the components necessary to obtain the delete? A pipe and a tuner? What's the monetary damage of the components and hardware required? Thanks again.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Basically your entire stock exhaust is kept intact and undamaged. The first thing you need to decide on is what kind of programmer you will use. There are more and more options coming up. You've got SCT, Spartan, KEM and Bay Area Diesel Performance. Then you need a delete pipe. Next, if your delete pipe is larger than the stock exhaust you will need an exit pipe.

Here's my set-up:
Programmer: SCT LiveWire, purchased the tune from DFuser.com

Delete pipe: Currently running a 5" Cat back delete pipe that just removes the DPF. Later this week I will be getting my 5" custom built pipe that connects directly to the ball flange on the trucks downpipe, making a full strait pipe by removing the Cat also. This I bought from Bay Area Diesel.

And hopefully in the next week or two I'll be getting my 6" stacks for my truck to finish it off.

On average you're probably looking at a $1500-$2000 investment. Depending on the brand, diameter of delete pipe and remaining exhaust components.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Basically your entire stock exhaust is kept intact and undamaged. The first thing you need to decide on is what kind of programmer you will use. There are more and more options coming up. You've got SCT, Spartan, KEM and Bay Area Diesel Performance. Then you need a delete pipe. Next, if your delete pipe is larger than the stock exhaust you will need an exit pipe.

Here's my set-up:
Programmer: SCT LiveWire, purchased the tune from DFuser.com

Delete pipe: Currently running a 5" Cat back delete pipe that just removes the DPF. Later this week I will be getting my 5" custom built pipe that connects directly to the ball flange on the trucks downpipe, making a full strait pipe by removing the Cat also. This I bought from Bay Area Diesel.

And hopefully in the next week or two I'll be getting my 6" stacks for my truck to finish it off.

On average you're probably looking at a $1500-$2000 investment. Depending on the brand, diameter of delete pipe and remaining exhaust components.
It never fails. The more questions I ask, the more confusing it becomes. It's a crappy feeling because with my last truck, I was......well......you! The guy with all the questions after years of learning through reading or through trial and error. It appears I need to attend a few meets in my area and get a feel for what others have done with their '08's. Thanks for all the feedback. I do truly appreciate it. I like the group around here and the manner in which questions seem to be answered. Most just give you the facts and allow you to decide for yourself. They don't try and ram their particular setup down your throat, touting it as the best there is. Once again, many thanks, man.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you talk with one of the suppliers of these programs they can put it relatively clearly. The best people I've dealt with so far have been DFuser and Bay Area Diesel. I can always get a strait forward answer from these guys and always a quick response.

My final set-up ended up costing me $2275, but I bought everything one piece at a time. What you want as an end product is going to decide on who you'll go with. Keep and eye on the forums over the next few weeks, I'm sure a lot more information will be showing up.

Also when I get my big strait pipe and stacks in I'll be posting a detailed description on the install of both with pics and numbers.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you talk with one of the suppliers of these programs they can put it relatively clearly. The best people I've dealt with so far have been DFuser and Bay Area Diesel. I can always get a strait forward answer from these guys and always a quick response.

My final set-up ended up costing me $2275, but I bought everything one piece at a time. What you want as an end product is going to decide on who you'll go with. Keep and eye on the forums over the next few weeks, I'm sure a lot more information will be showing up.

Also when I get my big strait pipe and stacks in I'll be posting a detailed description on the install of both with pics and numbers.
I'll look forward to the write up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts