Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont think my 08 has ever been in 4x4. I bought it as a southern truck and tried turning the hubs the other day into the locked position and couldn't turn them by hand. I know normally they are stiff but I had to get a pair of pliers to turn them. Can I take them apart easily to re-grease them or something? Would that help them to turn and operate easier?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Been meaning to get to this too, maybe I will peek at this weekend and let you know what I think too :) Subscribed for anyone else who has done this already.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Maybe just take off the lockout and grease em up! Mine was the same way, I WD40'd the outside, between the dial and the housing, and wd40'd the inside all over, turns smoothly now.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
If they are warn lockers they should have Allen headed bolts holding it on. Pop the front off, apply lubricant, and or grease from the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any specific type of grease to use?

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
they aren't WARN lockers on an '08

mine were smoked on my '08 when I bought it with 108k. I just bought new OEM units from TASCA and have been fine since

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are 3 Allen head bolts on the hub. Do you just take them out and the cover and just push grease in with your hand?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fall apart?? Are they chinsy or something

·
Registered
151 Posts
They are considered to be a non serviceable part.
Lube with waterproof grease where you can.
Use an aerosol can with some kind of water dispersing lube to spray between the rotating knob and the housing.
Cycle the knob to work the lube around.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I appreciate it

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Zombie back from the dead thread....

Anyone have any more info on this? Has anyone actually taken them apart to servce/lube them? My 08 has 176k and it hasn't been in 4wd much (purchased with 162K) and sometimes when I engage 4wd from the dash switch, the front end won;t engage, put switch back in 2wd, cycle hubs to lock once or twice leave in auto, flip switch and it will engage the next fews times. I think they are just sluggish from lack of use.

I don;t use 4wd often just occassionally in the snow and I don;t want my wife to experience issues if she's driving it while I'm gone for work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Take the 3 bolts out and the hub will slide out. Nothing will fall apart, there is a plastic small cage around the gears. When you get the bolts out don't pry or force the hub out, just wiggle and twist and pull and it will slide out just, clean the gears with wd and relube them lithium or other waterproof grease.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts