Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable method to "clean" the DPF. I'm doubtful with the truck not throwing codes since you remove the sensors and have to run the truck.
I'd bet they are injecting some serious chemicals into the system, burning off as much as possible, and giving it an OK bill of health. How much is a brand new SCR/DPF system??

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Vendor
208 Posts
I was visiting with a friend that has a mechanics shop and he is into Ford diesels. He was telling me one of his reps told him about a kit that is close to being available to the public that is designed to service the DPF while still installed on the truck. You remove the sensors and use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out and you are good to go for another 100K miles along with the normal cleaning cycles we are used to. The down side is the cost was close to $1,000 but that is less than a new unit. Of course, this wouldn't apply if you were going to delete.

Anyone have more info?

Tom
Not sure about this new product. There are products in EU that sound similar to what your describing. I would love to see this product hopefully it is at SEMA this year!

I was quoted "around $4k" by my local ford dealer for parts only for a new torpedo.

I decided to keep running mine and deal with its quirks with that news...

Ford Parts has it listed for $3,800.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/catalysts/filter-assy-diesel-particle-7863271-1

The 6.7 filters are hard to come by right now. There has not been any replacement ones come available to my knowledge. The ones for 6.4 powerstroke are great and we even have service kits so you can clean the DPF yourself! Back to the 6.7 we are working on a solution for this currently. $4000 is insane price for this item, are you having issues with yours?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
use various specifically designed tubes and chemicals to access the areas inside the DPF. Once done, start the truck up and the unit is cleaned out
I'm sure burning Varsol and jet fuel is great for the air quality. Good thing we have DPF to keep the air clean :lol:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
It sounds good and all, but to me it sounds like a "oh don't forget to fill your blinker fluid" scam. $1000 bucks is pricey to "clean" it, and who's to say it will work? Then guess what, you're out $1k, and will have to shell out the $4k for a new one. I'm sure every truck will be different, some DPF's will be in better shape than others will be, but still a lot of cash to gamble to see if it will work.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
You know....I had to read this post a few times....You get your "DPF serviced" for $1000.....I get it.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
How are YOU going to know IF it got serviced? Sounds like they'll take it out back and do a static regen for ya.....

Seems like a good way to make $1k....

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
We would remove the dpf systems on the big rigs and use a super high heat pressure washer with some cleaning chemicals. Seemed to do the trick with no failures or issues in 100k plus etc. There is a company in CA that came to the caterpillar dealer every now and then and it was like a pressurized parts washer tank that took an hour to heat/pressure/clean the dpfs. It worked very well. I found this place: https://www.clarkstruckcenter.com/dpf-cleaning/

but again the other company had like a heated parts washer with all these solvents and heat and it worked great.

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
How are YOU going to know IF it got serviced? Sounds like they'll take it out back and do a static regen for ya.....

Seems like a good way to make $1k....

Well I can say when "DPF service" is complete, there's no more "DEF in the tank". I can do "static regens" myself. >:)>:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
You should be able to talk to a local shop that has the "air knife" to clean the DPF. Our local radiator shop charges us around $400 - $600 to clean them. You still have to remove and install the DPF because the air knifing can't be done on the vehicle. Sounds a LOT more cost effective than buying a new or reman from Ford.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Anyone have more info?

Tom
I've seen systems that clean the DPF while still on the vehicle. My only question is:
Will it also remove the ash thats still trapped? If not, you may still have a filter full of ash when the burn out is done.
The ones that require removing the filter get rid of soot and the ash that results from previous regens. There is a thread in the 11-16 forum that outlines diy removal and cleaning. The only problem is capture and disposal of the waste.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Anyone have more info?

Tom
I've seen systems that clean the DPF while still on the vehicle. My only question is:
Will it also remove the ash thats still trapped? If not, you may still have a filter full of ash when the burn out is done.
The ones that require removing the filter get rid of soot and the ash that results from previous regens. There is a thread in the 11-16 forum that outlines diy removal and cleaning. The only problem is capture and disposal of the waste. I've trie to find the post but cant may be on another forum

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like a reasonable method to "clean" the DPF. I'm doubtful with the truck not throwing codes since you remove the sensors and have to run the truck.
I'd bet they are injecting some serious chemicals into the system, burning off as much as possible, and giving it an OK bill of health. How much is a brand new SCR/DPF system??
My understanding is the sensors were removed for access to the various areas of the filter and then the rods/tools were used to put the cleaning fluid into the filter so it was in all areas. Then, the sensors were put back in place before running.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
My understanding is the sensors were removed for access to the various areas of the filter and then the rods/tools were used to put the cleaning fluid into the filter so it was in all areas. Then, the sensors were put back in place before running.

Tom

That sounds like normal DPF operation. Then the take it out for a forced regen?? Yea....they better give a 100% guarantee to go another 100,000+ miles before it's clogged again.

For some of these devices it's only a matter of time till someone has engineered a CARB/EPA aftermarket device that is easier to service and cheaper over the product life.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
That sounds like normal DPF operation. Then the take it out for a forced regen?? Yea....they better give a 100% guarantee to go another 100,000+ miles before it's clogged again.

For some of these devices it's only a matter of time till someone has engineered a CARB/EPA aftermarket device that is easier to service and cheaper over the product life.
Oh my....can you imagine? An OEM one say costs anywhere from $3-5k probably depending on dealer etc. Imagine what a performance DPF will cost? I wouldn't be surprised to see one go $7k. That's Nissan GTR and Porsche exhaust territory prices.

·
Super Moderator
9,680 Posts
I'd pay $4k for a easy to service unit over this "one and done" OEM BS.

·
Vendor
208 Posts
OEM Diesel Particulate Filter Replacement Options

This topic is something we discuss daily here at Dales. As some of you may already know, there are some DPF replacement options available already for a few vehicles. Below are some of the aftermarket DPF options we offer now for the 6.4L Powerstroke.

The prices of these units makes this bitter pill, much easier to swallow. Certainly much more friendly than the $4k the dealer wants.

My favorite option is the Bully Dog. This unit is serviceable, increases air flow up to 21%, reduces EGTs up to 12%, minimizes soot accumulation and reduces backpressure up to 44%. They also claim to lower the amount of regenerations.

Here's the lineup so far...

AP EXHAUST $1,292

REDLINE AUTO $1,411

BULLY DOG $1,799

MAGNAFLOW $1,869

If you ask me, having a DPF that is less prone to clogging, allows you to service it and increases flow is a no brainer. As deleting becomes harder and harder to accomplish, the goal is going to be to have a less cumbersome and more reliable pollution control system.

We will always be able to tune and increase performance, which is great. What's more important is knowing you can count on your diesel workhorse when you need it. The less trips to the dealer the better and staying compliant is a bonus.

If anyone has any questions or wants more info, let me know.

Regards,

Tommy T.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts