Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 f350 7.3L diesel. check engine light stays on, at idle but when revved the engine up the light goes out, but when it goes back to idle the light comes back on. the engine runs smoothly at idle and when revved up. i have put a new idm, pcm, all new injectors, glow plugs and put 2 new interstate batteries. no codes detected.

please help

· Premium Member
9,831 Posts
You don't say what it is that you're using to scan your truck, but it probably isn't up to the task (if the light came on there IS a code there)

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

· Premium Member
9,831 Posts
Yea, More Reason to have your own equipment :(

If I had to guess, it would be that the shop saw a P1316 IDM code and called the IDM bad (there are further tests that should have been done). AND that now that the IDM has been eliminated as the cause, the next most likely culprit is going to be the UVCH (UnderValveCoverHarness) connections through the valve cover gaskets.

Good video here on what to do next (be Sure to inspect those pins for for being Burnt, putting the quarters in the clips won't help if your pins aren't in good shape)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.