Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this happen twice and I don't know if it's a "real" thing or not........

2016 F-350, 65,500 miles. Yesterday, nice day, not hot, not cold, pulling small 5th wheel home from a week away, on the highway at 65 mph - absolutely normal, nothing interesting, nothing unusual.
Wife, who is driving says, "There's a picture of an engine showing in the dashboard."
Truck was running fine. Pulled off onto the shoulder, got out and looked around. No noises, no power loss, no nothing. Checked oil, checked transmission fluid, coolant - normal everywhere. Checked under the truck to see if anything was going on. Nothing.
It's the "Service Engine Soon" light and says there's some emission issue.

Continued home. Did some running around, grocery store, and so on. Light on the whole time. Came out of grocery story - probably 5 or 6 engine shutdowns and restarts over the couple hours. Light was off. Stayed off. It's stayed off since, through a couple restarts...

I VAGUELY recall this happening once a couple years ago, and it did the same thing - stayed on for a while - maybe a day, then went off and stayed off.

What IS this thing? What is it doing? Do I need to let the dealer read the codes and see if there's anything - OR, is this some kind of 60,000 mile (or 65,000 mile) thing that goes off for SOMETHING? I didn't find ANYTHING related to emissions in the maintenance manual for the truck, but... So, what's up?

Reactions: TKR

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what a DPF filter is... And if it's clogged, why would the light come on twice in 5 years and 60K miles, then go off after the truck is restarted a couple times?

·
Administrator
22,879 Posts
I have no idea what a DPF filter is... And if it's clogged, why would the light come on twice in 5 years and 60K miles, then go off after the truck is restarted a couple times?

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
IIRC, there is a "check engine" light (looks like a 5 year olds drawing of an engine) and a "service engine soon" message (text that pops up). Two totally different things. The CEL (picture) is usually emissions related. I've had them come up randomly twice. Once for DPF regen temperature inconsistent or some such thing. And another for the DEF heater.
The heater was truly bad but the light only came on when it was really cold.
The DPF was an anomaly. The truck was in regen but I was in a hilly area looking for the entrance to some land. The erratic throttle of going up and down hills plus turning around made my EGT go up and down a lot. Went away soon enough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's no message. there's no nothing. Just a yellow light that looks like an engine. The MANUAL says there's some emission problem. After a while it went off. Hasn't come back on.

And I have NO idea what Heavy_GDs animated reply was supposed to tell me as far as answering the question. Humor? Insult? Being a jerk?

·
Drunk Post Extraordinair
1,169 Posts
There's no message. there's no nothing. Just a yellow light that looks like an engine. The MANUAL says there's some emission problem. After a while it went off. Hasn't come back on.

And I have NO idea what Heavy_GDs animated reply was supposed to tell me as far as answering the question. Humor? Insult? Being a jerk?

You’re talking about this light, right?

That could be literally anything. Anything. Your manual won’t tell you what it is. Carry it to the parts store and have them pull the code.

Anything else is just a waste of time. We can speculate forever but there’s no point. The codes will tell you exactly what’s wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts