Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want your guys opinion on this especially you guys that work at dealerships.

Here's the situation. I called the dealership yesterday and got quote over the phone for some basic service items of $479.95. This is for an oil change, fuel filter change, trans and radiator flush. I bought this truck in October and had not taken it anywhere to be check out thus the reason I took it in. I digress... the dealership called me back to say they recommend a few other items. I asked how much is my total at this point and maybe I could add the other services. They told me $610.95. At this point I became a bit angry and asked WTF happened to $480. They told me the previous person I spoke with must have quoted the 7.3L price.

I went to this dealership because of the price and it is quite a bit out of my way to get to. I cancelled my appointment at the one two minutes from my work. :doh:

What can I do? :dunno: Can I refuse to pay the $610 and still get my truck back?

Thanks for letting me rant and I appreciate anyone advice.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Not unless you got it in writing! You can try your best to get them to come down to the orginal price quote you got, but unlikely without a quote on paper. Good luck hopefully they will go good:thumb:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
So did they tell you the new price before doing the other service items? Or what? I believe it is illegal to quote someone a price and then do things without them knowing about it and jacking the price up.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
It is a sneaky way, but on the estimate form, they have a box to check, that "approves" all repairs up to the estimate PLUS upto 50% of original estimate. I have seen it on dealership forms, can't remember if it was Ford or Chrysler (wifey owns a Jeep). The form IIRC had several places to check, the options were something like Call before any repair, Repair up to Estimate, Repair upto estimate plus 50%, etc. It has been awhile since I've seen this, so I could be wrong, or they may have changed those pratices.

I would get a copy of original offer if possible and see what it says.

EDIT: I just thought of this, it might of been, Call if Actually Repairs exceed estimate + 50%....or something. I just remember it being kinda weird. Wish I could remember exactly.:doh:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok they are going to honor their price of $480 plus tax. He did say for the $615 he would throw in (not really) the transfer case service. I have used my 4WD a few times since owning the truck and I don't have any service records from the previous owner. Should I do it?

BTW, everything was over the phone. Nothing in writing. So I guess he sort of doing me a favor.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
hmmm, what does that service cost by itself??? i would probably just stick with the original cost.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok they are going to honor their price of $480 plus tax. He did say for the $615 he would throw in (not really) the transfer case service. I have used my 4WD a few times since owning the truck and I don't have any service records from the previous owner. Should I do it?

BTW, everything was over the phone. Nothing in writing. So I guess he sort of doing me a favor.
Not for that cost. Usually servicing the transfer case means to drain the fluid and refill it. That is definately not worth the extra 135 dollars. At least to me, when I can do it for less then 40 dollars myself in the driveway at my house.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts