Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone change out thier Serpintine Belt? Dealer want's $102 in labor to replace it.

I've got a single altenator and the routing diagram to follow. I'm just wondering if someone has some instructions and if it's a two man job?

:dunno:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
It probably depends on how strong you are, i'd imagine the hardest part is holding the tensioner and putting the belt on the last pulley. And I'm not 100% positive but i think there might be a hose that goes through the belt, that might be why it's so expensive for labor, i'm not sure though.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
All I can tell you is get it across all the pulleys you can, except for the A/C compressor. Then, take a 1/2" drive ratchet or preferably breaker bar, and put it in the square hole between the two pulley tensioners. At this point make sure you have the belt in hand, and pull back(or push forward, I cant remember off hand) on the breakerbar to loosen the tensioner, and slip the belt on. takes about 6 minutes. make sure you get the routing of the belt right. I only needed myself to do it.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
it shouldnt be that hard. put a pipe on the handle for the tenssionar and do it yourself! or take it to the dealer, if your rich? lol

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Yeah, i forgot about the hose in the way, mainly cause mine wasnt in the way. Good time to switch hoses on the top of the radiator to prevent having difficulties again. Maintain wrote up something on this....let me find it...

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
The upper radiator hose goes through the belt. They aren't hard to put on, as long as you can pull the tensioner and slip the belt on. Buy the upper hose for a dual altenator for about $30 from the dealer and you won't have to remove it to change the belt anymore.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 6.0, and it the upper radiator hose does not go through the belt...:crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,493 Posts
Changed mine the first year and two alternators and the diagram... one person!:nod:

Edited.... sorry didn't see yours was a 6.0.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have a 6.0, and it the upper radiator hose does not go through the belt...:crazy:
oops my bad. Shouldn't be too bad. But like the other guys said, a pipe or breaker bar so you get more leverage on the tensioner will do wonders, good luck!

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Changed mine the first year and two alternators and the diagram... one person!:nod:

Edited.... sorry didn't see yours was a 6.0.
Yeah I should've looked at the year before mentioning that lol!

·
Registered
121 Posts
6.0 belt looks bad but it's not.
1. Take the air filter off and the intake pipe off of the cold side it will allow access to those pulley's on the left side of the engine. and give you a better view of what you are doing.

Second grab the old belt from the right side if you'll look down there is a catch lever you can set on the tensioner. Pull slack out of the belt then with your other hand set the latch, this will hold the tensioner in full flex and relax the pressure on the belt. Now you can remove the old one and watch how it comes off. New belt will go around two pulley on the left side, over the water pump/fan pully and down and OVER the Harmonic balancer and crankshaft. Now it goes over another idler the around the A/C past the tensioner and over the alternator, then continous down under another idler and back to the left side. Yours may be a little differnet since it is an 05 and mine is an 03 but i bet the concept is still much the same. Once the belt is on and in place just grab it pull slack out of tensioner again and flip the latch down now the tensioner should put full flex on the belt , just make sure your belt is all lined up and in the right grooves.

Tips: be patient , when your pulling the belt over the crank turn it on its side so it will pass between the balancer and the stator.

Hope this helps :thumb:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you do it without taking the Air Filter housing out? I have an AFE and it will be a major pain to take out!

I called around to see what local shops(not dealers) charge to replace the belt and they want over $200!!! WTF!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would imagine you can do it without removing the air filter. I did that becasue then I could see all the pulleys and the orientation of the belt. 200.00 sounds rank, I did mine for the first time last weekend and it took me about 30 minutes honestly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts