Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i never thought i would be saying this but i think the time has come for me to go vegi! i did a little math and i figured that it would take about 11,000 miles for it to pay for itself! I think this is smart move. tell me if i am crazy but i really think i could see myself driving a vegistroke! Will it bring my mileage up any? What do you think??

·
Registered
521 Posts
It's a good way to go. The hard part is securing enough oil. Around here most places have contracts with pumping companies, and aren't willing to give it up. I guess that's a draw back to living in a big city.

It's begining to look like getting your own oil is going to be hard to do. At least around here.

·
Registered
514 Posts
your actual mpg will not increase.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Your DIESEL MPG will increase dramatically :lol:

·
Registered
738 Posts
it's probably going to be a hobby more than anything else, finding the oil is getting harder/more expensive, restaurants are being payed to get old oil taken away when before they would just give it away usually, and like they said they probably have contracts with them to not allow others to buy it.

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
Vegistroke is a very smart idea. Mine is on order and I should have it installed within a month hopefully. :woot: Yes finding oil is the hardest part. I found a place here in Denver that collects it and filters it and all that then sells it for a very cheap price. THat is the route I am taking. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
im still kinda leary on wvo systems. i was told dont do it cause it will cause nothing but problems and even clog your injectors. sounds like a very messy and pain in the butt job if you ask me. i know theres others here runnin it but im still skeptical. well hope you have good luck with it and be sure to keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
sounds like a headache to me....keep us posted on how it turns out.

·
Registered
360 Posts
To be honest, I will never run bio in my truck... I have seen first hand on what it does in cold situations and it just isn't worth the headache.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
im still kinda leary on wvo systems. i was told dont do it cause it will cause nothing but problems and even clog your injectors. sounds like a very messy and pain in the butt job if you ask me. i know theres others here runnin it but im still skeptical. well hope you have good luck with it and be sure to keep us posted.
If you do not filter it corectly, then yes it can and will clog things and can damage the injectors or motor. But when done right, its very good for your engine!

Yes its messy but look at it as you are getting free fuel! cant beat that! after a few shots at it, you will find ways to make your process better and less messy.

To be honest, I will never run bio in my truck... I have seen first hand on what it does in cold situations and it just isn't worth the headache.
A veggiestroke kit will not have those issues. they use a heat exchanger in the tank to heat the oil long before it gets near the motor. but yea cold oil in your engine will not burn well and will make things go bad.

As soon as i can get the funds, ill get a kit. i have 150 gal of vo in my back yard waiting to be used :) now i just gotta find a steddy source!

·
KVFD
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
man now i dont think i want to do it:dunno: i am going to buy a blazer for storm chasing and with prices i think the stroke can sit for the week and then i will take it out for the weekend

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you do not filter it corectly, then yes it can and will clog things and can damage the injectors or motor. But when done right, its very good for your engine!

Yes its messy but look at it as you are getting free fuel! cant beat that! after a few shots at it, you will find ways to make your process better and less messy.

A veggiestroke kit will not have those issues. they use a heat exchanger in the tank to heat the oil long before it gets near the motor. but yea cold oil in your engine will not burn well and will make things go bad.

As soon as i can get the funds, ill get a kit. i have 150 gal of vo in my back yard waiting to be used :) now i just gotta find a steddy source!
I havn't seen this "veggestroke kit" in person so I can't say anything about that. But I do however work with snowcats and numerous ski resorts tried to use veggi oil not too long ago. To be honest, it just has not worked out for them. The freezing point is much higher than regular diesel making the cost of fuel additives, to nock that freezing point down to a reasonable spot, in all reality doesn't make the fuel any cheaper. There are a few that run a 80-20 or 90-10 mix, high on Off-Road #2 that don't have as many issues. But with running 100% veggi I have seen injectors go bad, filters clog, you name it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts