Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, newbie here. I am looking at an 08 6.4 sd250, single cab, 2wd under 50 k miles. Should have balance oem warranty. I have owned 89 7.3, bought new, 88 7.3 bought used, and an 00 7.3 powerstroke bought used and have put about 600k between the 3. I have been looking for a low miles 7.3 up to 02 and anything of quality just isnt there. I have been reading forums like this one and I think I have been talked out of a 6.0. I drove a really nice 6.4 in an 08 f250 king ranch the other day and absolutely loved it, but sure dont need that kind of swank for work truck. I am curious what kind of mpg to expect, and what kind of problems I can look out for. Truck will probably get 30 k per year, used on the farm mostly light loads and trailering things like slow speed wagons around farm and 1000 gal nurse tank when spraying. Have 09 f150 now, but just not enough for some of the heavier chores. Any opinions appreciated. Thnx

·
Registered
227 Posts
The best thing is to remove the DPF/CAT and tune it.

With the DPF/Cat you will get 13-14 mpg.(Best I could get) With the DPF/cat removed and tune I have been getting high 17-18 empty.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hey guys and gals, newbie here. I am looking at an 08 6.4 sd250, single cab, 2wd under 50 k miles. Should have balance oem warranty. I have owned 89 7.3, bought new, 88 7.3 bought used, and an 00 7.3 powerstroke bought used and have put about 600k between the 3. I have been looking for a low miles 7.3 up to 02 and anything of quality just isnt there. I have been reading forums like this one and I think I have been talked out of a 6.0. I drove a really nice 6.4 in an 08 f250 king ranch the other day and absolutely loved it, but sure dont need that kind of swank for work truck. I am curious what kind of mpg to expect, and what kind of problems I can look out for. Truck will probably get 30 k per year, used on the farm mostly light loads and trailering things like slow speed wagons around farm and 1000 gal nurse tank when spraying. Have 09 f150 now, but just not enough for some of the heavier chores. Any opinions appreciated. Thnx
The emissions equipment doesn't work all that well when it is being used for light duty stuff. It works fairly well if you are working the truck but in the long run you are better off to just remove all the emissions equipment if at all possible in your area. If you intend on using it for what you mentioned above, you will more than likely have trouble with it due to the dpf plugging up and probably egr related issues. Just my opinion though.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
The best thing is to remove the DPF/CAT and tune it.

With the DPF/Cat you will get 13-14 mpg.(Best I could get) With the DPF/cat removed and tune I have been getting high 17-18 empty.
I was about the same... 13-14 stock, today I got 17.6 on this last tank (tuned).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts