Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 F350 Long Bed 4x4 Lariat
21 Posts
FT is definitely cool tech, but unfortunately for many of the granola-munching crowd its no better since its still fossil fuel based (just using coal instead of oil...which for them is arguably worse).
Oh for sure you mention coal to anyone uneducated on the process and the first thought is most likely but coals such a dirty fuel. But the neat thing is the process works on other materials as well. They're using it on biomass mainly wood and feedstock to essentially produce FT biodiesel which from what I've read and my father (He's a chemical engineer working on this stuff) has told me is a straight to market product as it has a very similar viscosity, cloud point and lubricity to the current biodiesel that's being produced not to mention it still retains the high cetane rating due to the FT process. Seems to me this could be a win to help curb emissions, improve fuel economy and reduce foreign dependence on fuel. Also it looks like this spring Washington State University researchers have developed a process to turn 90% of plastic into jet fuel which I would imagine is using a similar process to FT through catalytic gasification I would think if they're making jet fuel they could tune it to make diesel. I bet everyone would hop on that with all the plastic waste we've polluted the world with.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
It makes no difference how clean we get our fuel. We could make something that does not hurt the atmosphere or anything else. Do you really think China, Russia, Africa, and other such places will change anything for us??? If you do, I have some excellent astrological property with outstanding views of the sun and warm weather all year long.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you know that SB3305 in Oregon will...
"Prohibits retail dealer, nonretail dealer or wholesale dealer from selling petroleum diesel for use in motor vehicle on or after specified dates. "
Is there someone opposing this?
Anyone?
Maybe, we should go back to steam engine. It take's coal. You need coal at power plant's to make electricity. Break out the old steam engine's. (wooo wooo)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just elect a decent conservative as president and your problem will correct itself
You bet!!! I live in Pennsylvania and they have Ton's of natural gas lines tap off. Under all that natural gas is oil. Lot's of oil. But, we still buy over sea's. The Alaska pipe line oil we sell 50% or more to Japan. I don't get it. The only oil company in Pa. is Penn's oil.

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Here’s the point most people don’t think about.
Carbon dioxide is food for plants. More CO2 is good for a literally greener planet.

We eat lots of plants. Livestock even more so. (Corn, wheat, veggies, fruits, beans, etc.) Reduce CO2 and there will be less food for humans.

I’ll leave it to you to decide if that is an intended or unforeseen side effect.
When they refer to it as a greenhouse gas I laugh because greenhouses often inject it for better yields.
Here's some good reading for when you find yourself arguing with idiots

Reactions: TwinExcursions

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wish I could find it, but I once read an article that claimed we are currently in a CO2 deficit compared to long term historical norms for the planet. It was an interesting counterpoint to the constant crap from the greenie weenies

·
Premium Member
8,054 Posts
I wish I could find it, but I once read an article that claimed we are currently in a CO2 deficit compared to long term historical norms for the planet. It was an interesting counterpoint to the constant crap from the greenie weenies
Click the link I posted above to the co2 coalition pretty good facts

Reactions: TwinExcursions

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
21 - 30 of 30 Posts