Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that SB3305 in Oregon will...
"Prohibits retail dealer, nonretail dealer or wholesale dealer from selling petroleum diesel for use in motor vehicle on or after specified dates. "
Is there someone opposing this?
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
It doesn’t happen until I think, 2028. At that time they expect to have a cleaner and non- petroleum base diesel. I don’t know the downsides to the plan but expect there to be some.

Reactions: timlsalem and ZMANN

·
Registered
977 Posts
It doesn’t happen until I think, 2028. At that time they expect to have a cleaner and non- petroleum base diesel. I don’t know the downsides to the plan but expect there to be some.
Called E-Diesel. Audi ain't making electric cars they are going to keep building internal combustion engines using e-fuels (gas and diesel). Currently not cheap alternative but that should change when more mass produced and the tech to produce advances.

That is the future for internal combustion engines - we already have the full distribution system in the ground. Don't require a whole new system as we would for electric vehicles (generation/distribution/etc $$$).

"E-diesel - Wikipedia" E-diesel - Wikipedia

"Electrofuel - Wikipedia" Electrofuel - Wikipedia

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spirit and ZMANN

·
Administrator
32,732 Posts
is this another mass polluter to create "clean energy " ? I see High temps and carbon monoxide
The current process involves high-temperature electrolysis powered by electricity generated from renewable energy sources to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The next two chemical processes to create a liquid energy carrier called blue crude are done at a temperature of 220 °C (428 °F) and a pressure of 25 bars (2,500 kPa). In a conversion step, hydrogen and carbon dioxide are used to create syngas with water as byproduct. The syngas, which contains carbon monoxide and hydrogen, reacts to generate the blue crude.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So one company has a prototype process producting about 40 gal/day from 6 years ago and no major news about it since (and yeah, i looked). On top of that, the cost of the fuel would be around $8.10 per gal (thats just for the electricity consumed to make it...not the PPE and labor) according this guy: The Thermodynamic and Economic Realities of Audi’s E Diesel

Its dead, and this bill is retarded.

Checked on the bill itself, seems to have died in comittee: HB3305 2021 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

The bill was referred to comittee on 3/9 and was still in comittee when the session adjurned for the legeslative year on 6/29.

Reactions: TwinExcursions

·
Registered
977 Posts
We all better hope E Fuels move forward. Trains ain't gonna run on batteries (unless they switch locys very frequently - lots of electric locys gonna be required $$$$), long haul diesel trucks same chit, and don't tell me freighters are gonna do month long+ journeys on batteries. It's either E Fuels or LNG to power the above. Tree hugging granola eaters will never understand it.

Yeah currently E fuels are not affordable but govs/investors have to accept reality of how the world operates for commerce. Nothing is local and all goods travel a chit load of miles to get to the consumers. Money has to be invested to make it affordable and mass produced. Remember home computers used to cost $2000+ back in the 80's, now look how cheap they are (I could list more examples of this).

Sorry but current electric solutions will not cut it. Not to mention has anyone noticed how many blackouts currently happen - what do you think will happen when everything goes to electric and all these chargers plug in. Better have a fireplace to heat your house and a bbq or fire pit to cook on . Or better be ready for HUGE tax increases to pay for all the new infrastructure required to produce/supply this electricity (on top of the current chit loads of debt our govs are already taking on).

I work for a company that services the distribution systems so I might have a little insight into the topic. We work with the local power company and know how bad it currently is. Severely old and overloaded systems - not just where I live but across North America.

We are in for a chit storm unless viable solutions along with electric come forward.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I’m all for finding better products.
But we already have a viable solution. Petroleum. Use it until research finds a viable battery tech and efficient power generation.
Way too much virtue signaling in this world by wokesters without a clue.
Underlying message I didn't say is what you said "we have a viable solution - petroleum" and it is not going away soon, despite what the tree hugging granola eaters/vote hungry politicians think.

We need serious innovation that IMHO ain't happening quick enough.

I love my trucks and so far there is NO viable alternative that I see (short of hauling a generator and gallons of gas to charge my rig in the backwoods - kinda an oxymoron situation).

Reactions: rabpearson

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Here’s the point most people don’t think about.
Carbon dioxide is food for plants. More CO2 is good for a literally greener planet.

We eat lots of plants. Livestock even more so. (Corn, wheat, veggies, fruits, beans, etc.) Reduce CO2 and there will be less food for humans.

I’ll leave it to you to decide if that is an intended or unforeseen side effect.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I’m all for finding better products.
But we already have a viable solution. Petroleum. Use it until research finds a viable battery tech and efficient power generation.
Way too much virtue signaling in this world by wokesters without a clue.
Battery tech ain't gonna cut it - see below picture of vessels plying the Pacific ocean - that one chit load of batteries that have to produce thousands of hp per vessel let alone how many gigawatts of power to charge them (currently not available). I'm not a woke person just a realist - we need LNG for vessels or e-fuels. Or something that hasn't been thought of as of yet.

Edit to post - I also work on marine vessels that are LNG, hybrid LNG/battery, hybrid diesel/battery (eventually to be all battery). The battery ones require multiple megawatt (1,000,000 watts is a megawatt) charging stations. One of my clients (LNG/battery hybrid) has been working for 2 years to get this capability with our local power provider and just got approval. The Diesel/battery hybrids require an entire upgrade to the power system on Vancouver Island to be able to change to all electric. It's extremely complicated but makes good political news to say they are capable of this.

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Just need a “Mr Fusion “ and you’ve got ’1.21 Gigawatts’. LOL.

Yeh, ocean going vessels are an entirely different ballgame

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just need a “Mr Fusion “ and you’ve got ’1.21 Gigawatts’. LOL.

Yeh, ocean going vessels are an entirely different ballgame
Actually nuclear is a good option, there are some promising new methods that:

Use current nuclear waste to power - and left over is not really harmful like current nuke power (that's the plant being built in Wyoming if I am correct)

Don't make waste that is harmful and lasts forever

Fusion is also making good headway but still only in labs - long ways to go to be commercial ready.

Trains are just as difficult as ocean going vessels - another entire different ballgame again.

·
Registered
2013 F350 Long Bed 4x4 Lariat
21 Posts
There is a better way to get diesel fuel and it burns way cleaner than the current petrol based gasoline and diesel we currently use as well it provides twice the amount of energy per volume AKA 2x the Cetane rating. The Nazis actually pioneered it and used it during WWII when their oil supplies were cut off. It's called fischer tropsch diesel and it is made using the fischer tropsch process which essentially is the process of gasifying coal and the resulting diesel fuel made from this is some top tier stuff. The reason we do not currently use this type of diesel fuel is because the cost involved to build and commission a single chemical plant for this is billions of dollars. Essentially our infrastructure is already setup to process crude oil and we would have to start over building new plants across the country to supply enough to meet demand. But that's not to say this switch over isn't coming, no one has been given enough incentive yet to invest in the tremendous cost. I always figured the switch would come when crude oil supplies ran low as the Wyoming Powder River Basin supposedly houses more coal than the middle east has ever had oil but it would appear that new emissions and the push to a greener environment may just be the push needed to invest in the infrastructure to make it happen.

·
Registered
2013 F350 Long Bed 4x4 Lariat
21 Posts
For anyone curious here's a couple of articles on the process. Fischer-Tropsch Diesel - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics aparently the process is already being used in Europe but blended with petrol based diesel for two reasons. One being that the cloud point on FT diesel is much higher than petrol based meaning it gels at a higher temp due to having a much higher paraffin content. The second being FT diesel contains no sulfur which as we all know at this point is no good for injection pumps.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FT is definitely cool tech, but unfortunately for many of the granola-munching crowd its no better since its still fossil fuel based (just using coal instead of oil...which for them is arguably worse).

Reactions: TwinExcursions
1 - 20 of 30 Posts