Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Allows you to high idle your truck with one of the upfitter switches. Warm up faster, also better for emissiosns equipment. Idling isnt easy on DPFs anyways, but high idle is a bit better then reg idle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
What kind of resistors are ya'll buyin? Do you pick them up at any parts store?
Radio Shack would be the best place to pick everything up

What Does it actually do for you?
It also improves oil circulation during times of idle, or at least that was what was told to me when I learning how to drive the "big rigs".

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
It also improves oil circulation during times of idle, or at least that was what was told to me when I learning how to drive the "big rigs".
Low idle, low oil pressure, cyl walls arent lubed as well makes it hard on rings.

·
Registered
774 Posts
No, I completely agree with you, I was just being a little facetious. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Dont worry just adding in a little more info for inquiring minds. Have you done the mod yet? I wont be off work set for 4 more nights so I plan on doing the mod this set off, judging by the pictures im a little confused where all this wiring is found?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I haven't done it yet either, hoping to over this weekend. I just took a long trip last to FL and slept a few hours in my truck, with those cold temps making their way down south I was really wishing for a high idle at 3am.

Here is a link that came from another forum, I too was a little confused about their locations but this seemed to have cleared it up for me. Hope it helps!

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q180-A.pdf

·
Registered
774 Posts
Just wired mine up today, FINALLY!! Works great, but make sure you have the E-brake on.

Went to Radio Shack today but they didn't have the 20K Ohm resistor, so I went with the 22K ohm resistor to save myself from driving around aimlessly looking for a $1.00 part that'll just give me a couple more RPMs. I'm guessing the 22K ohm resistor is in the mid 1100RPM range. Hope this helps and it was a simple modification that took just a few minutes.

Reactions: Durapig Eater

·
Registered
174 Posts
Silly question, I just traded my 2008 in for a 2011. In the 08 I just connected the pto wire to the uplifter wire. Is there more involved on the 2011? If so could you give me a brief breakdown? Thank you

·
Registered
774 Posts
Four wires, two connections, one resistor... easy breezy.

The first picture sums it up perfectly, the only thing in the picture that is confusing PTO_RPM Green label looks like the green and brown up-fitter wire is part of the equation but it is not. The hardest part is stripping the wires.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Lancer250

·
Registered
774 Posts
What I have noticed so far on cool days. When the engine temperature is below 60º you can hear the turbo whistle. Above 60º something changes, the whistle goes away and the engine has a distinctly different sound with a slightly rough idle that will last for above 5º to 10º on the engine temperature and then it smooths out keeping the same engine noise.

Does anyone know what is electronically happening in our engines during this time frame?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well that was easy haha.

Tied it into Aux 3, along with my phone booster so I can run booster full time and when I want high idle I hit it a throw e brake on and with the 22k ohm resistor it goes to about 1200 ish maybe a little lower. 4 switches, 5 purposes... yessss.

Should have done this before winter, didn't think it would take 5 mins.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Still having issues when I use the high idle in that I get code P22FF [SCR NOx CATALYST INLET TEMPERATURE TOO LOW]. Dealership can't figure it out, has anyone else had this issue?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts