Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! I've been searching with out any real results without feeling I've found good information. What I have is an 02 f350 7.3 psd with forged rods, 180/30% single shot injectors, fuel regulated return and ceramic coated pistons, t&s 6 position chip and a KC 66/73tubo with 1.00 AR housing and 4 inch turbo back Banks straight pipe exhaust, automatic trans with triple lock converter and some work done to it as well. I do not like my EGT's!! I still have high temps. Driving empty its golden 300-600 degrees but once pulling a load ie car trailer with any vehicle on it. It hits 1200+ degrees without even trying! Anyways I'm wanting to replace my tuner and I'm not sure which company I should go with. And yes I googled and I dont trust it! Thank you Brent.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Stock tire size?
Stock gears?
Is it hitting 1200 when lugging or when the turbo is spooled?
Wheres your EGT probe in the exhaust?
Tunes can do alot to bring EGT down but even towing something light (under 10k) can be hard to control EGTs with your engine setup on big tires with low gears.

I would suggest PHP, but there are many reputable tuners out there. Everyone likes someone different.

Lastly, 1200 isnt bad at all. you can sustain 1300 all day IMO. with peaks of 1500 for less than 15 or 20 seconds. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, tires and gears are stock sized. As long as I can keep the rpm up the temps dont climb too much. Im pushing around 25-30 psi (boost fooler installed) at roughly 2500rpm. (I did notice my EGT's went up after the new turbo.) I will even manually drop a gear to keep the rpms up. But once I drop below 2250 the boost drops to 15ish psi and the temp starts to climb to 1300° or more ! My EGT probe is in the drivers side manifold. I can easily hit 1500° empty if I bury my foot into it. Maybe my probe or gauge isnt reading correctly. I have an Isspro gauge and its seems to be true.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I forgot to mention @[email protected] He has some great products. And is very helpful. Ask him about tunes

I would make sure you do not have ANY boost leaks. They can kill EGTs.

Not sure if you changed your turbo pedestal to a NON-EVBP pedestal, but that will help

Next best option is to let off the gas pedal or downshift. Or re gear to higher gears to get you up in RPM.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
I DID NOT HEAR YOU MENTION THAT YOU CHANGED YOUR TRANSMISSION COOLER TO A 6.0 OR LARGER COOLER.....DID YOU?....

AND GOOD ADVICE ON SEEING @[email protected] AND TO USE THE PHP HYDRA TUNER.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a k&n air filter, unfortunately I'm still running the stock trans cooler. My trans temp stays below 150-160 in the summer so I'mnot worried about that at the moment. I already have a non-evbp pedestal. As for boost leaks I'm 99.9% sure its sealed up tight. I dont want to get lower gears because right now traveling @ 70 mph is 2500'ish rpm. I'm pretty sure my tunes are the biggest part of my issues.

·
Hate stupid people
8,591 Posts
upgrade to a DIY Intake 6637 filter
upgrade to a 6.0 trans cooler
are you running generic tunes? if so then look into custom tunes for that TS chip. search around here for tuners and you'll find a few options.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a k&n air filter, unfortunately I'm still running the stock trans cooler. My trans temp stays below 150-160 in the summer so I'mnot worried about that at the moment. I already have a non-evbp pedestal. As for boost leaks I'm 99.9% sure its sealed up tight. I dont want to get lower gears because right now traveling @ 70 mph is 2500'ish rpm. I'm pretty sure my tunes are the biggest part of my issues.
I would agree that tunes are your biggest issue at this point. Just remember that those 180/30s are gonna make heat. May take a few tune revisions to get EGTs down. Every truck reacts differently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my understanding I thought these were custom tunes. But I may be totally wrong. I recieved my tunes through RiffRaff. I'll give them a call and see what they can do to help me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had similar issues when I installed 38R. No load and relatively flat ground it seemed like it built boost normal and ran real well. Put load on it from trailer and/or hills and low boost and high egts. I installed a BD Wastegate controller and cranked it almost the way down. Still had issue so decided to change up-pipes. Passenger side fell off when bottom bolts removed. New up-pipes and now more boost and lower egts. I also recently removed my AFE Stage 2 and installed S&B and noticed larger egt drop.

Could it be wastegate controller or up-pipes?

·
Registered
11 Posts
wanted. "CloverLeafFarm, post: 16396583, member: 32846"]
upgrade to a DIY Intake 6637 filter
upgrade to a 6.0 trans cooler
are you running generic tunes? if so then look into custom tunes for that TS chip. search around here for tuners and you'll find a few options.
[/QUOTE]
Okay! I've been searching with out any real results without feeling I've found good information. What I have is an 02 f350 7.3 psd with forged rods, 180/30% single shot injectors, fuel regulated return and ceramic coated pistons, t&s 6 position chip and a KC 66/73tubo with 1.00 AR housing and 4 inch turbo back Banks straight pipe exhaust, automatic trans with triple lock converter and some work done to it as well. I do not like my EGT's!! I still have high temps. Driving empty its golden 300-600 degrees but once pulling a load ie car trailer with any vehicle on it. It hits 1200+ degrees without even trying! Anyways I'm wanting to replace my tuner and I'm not sure which company I should go with. And yes I googled and I dont trust it! Thank you Brent.
Have a 01 7.3 f350 , bw 300 turbo on a t4 mount, 5 inch pipe, comp vs with shimms, 205 over 30 full force diesel sticks, irate diesel fuel system, custom built tranny, 33 " tires, jelibuilt tunes on a hydra.

I pull my enclosed 18' tool trailer weighs about 3 tons never hit more than 1200 degrees unless i really get it on it. I pull my beaver trail loaded 12tons I will hit 1400 degrees. Obviously these numbers change if I really get on it but i don't see the numbers you are seeing. The only tuner I have on my trucks is the jelibult. Side note When I had shifting problems in my dump truck I called them , told them the issue and had a tune the following day to make the changes I wanted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the AFE on for over 10 years (was installed when I bought truck). Never had any issues just got tired of cleaning filters. I have 3 filters for it 2 oiled and 1 dry.

My truck isn't as modded as much as yours and cartoad71 though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had already cranked the waste gate down, I cant get 35psi of boost if I really wanted to. As for my up pipes when I rebuilt the Engine I installed the newer bellows style of up pipes. I'll have to look at the 6673 filter mod. my intake was on the truck when I bought it. it looks like one of those Spectre style cheap setups but with a K&N filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have a scanner? Have you checked the data on your truck to see if everything is running correctly? Before you go swapping stuff I would check to make sure you are running right. Just an idea.

·
Vendor
13,052 Posts
I had already cranked the waste gate down, I cant get 35psi of boost if I really wanted to. As for my up pipes when I rebuilt the Engine I installed the newer bellows style of up pipes. I'll have to look at the 6673 filter mod. my intake was on the truck when I bought it. it looks like one of those Spectre style cheap setups but with a K&N filter.
I would check to see if you actually have custom tunes on your TS chip.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a couple of scanners but I use A.E. on my truck. I had my TS reflashed from RiffRaff Diesel. I gave Clay all my information on how my truck was set up other than the new turbo I put in late last summer that I bought from him. And yes my injectors are the minimum size recommended for the turbo I bought. I was planning on going bigger down the road but I'm rethinking that now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts