Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found someone local to selling a SCT sf3 3015 that he has on his 6.0 Excursion, it just has the tunes on it from SCT. I have two ?'s first he is asking $275 is this a good deal for a used one? Also how much would it run me to send it to a tuner to have custom tunes added?

Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just bought one of eBay $100. I have to buy the tunes. I think you can get 3 for $160. Also a lot of them on Craigslist. I would go that route so you can set up the tunes the way your truck is set up His truck may of been modify a lot more than yours and can handle the higher horse power tunes.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Tunes would be emailed to you, and loaded via your PC.

$245 isn't bad, as long as its verified not to be married to a vehicle still (as in PO tuned a truck, then sold it). SCT charges $150 to unlock a tuner.

The canned tunes should still work for your '05. However, I would get custom files and run those. Depending on tuner, a package deal varies from $120-160 on average.

Used tuners follow that 'at your own risk' mentality.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Have you read this, it's what to look for when buying a used SCT.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ussion/193306-s-about-buying-used-sct-x3.html

$275 isn't bad. You will pay for a 3 tune package deal $100-$160 depending who you order from. Single tunes run $40-$80 depending who you order from.

Buying a new SCT X3 with custom tunes included in the price will be $425-$429. Both Innovative and Gearhead include 3 custom tunes in the price. And Quicktricks include unlimited tunes in the price.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you read this, it's what to look for when buying a used SCT.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ussion/193306-s-about-buying-used-sct-x3.html

$275 isn't bad. You will pay for a 3 tune package deal $100-$160 depending who you order from. Single tunes run $40-$80 depending who you order from.

Buying a new SCT X3 with custom tunes included in the price will be $425-$429. Both Innovative and Gearhead include 3 custom tunes in the price. And Quicktricks include unlimited tunes in the price.
I have read the thread on buying a used SCT, I know I need to make sure it is unlocked and then get on line and update the firmware. I guess depending on who I get the custom tunes from I will save a little $. How are the canned tunes on it?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Canned tunes are ok, and will wake up the beast. But if your looking for the most power you can get with tunes, then custom tunes are the way to go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck is bone stock now, I just put a scangauge II on it to check everything out. I will most likely get it tomorrow and order a cat & muffler delete. Thanks for the input! I am new to the 6.0! Only had 7.3's till now!

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
Enjoy your tuned power!!! Try out the canned tunes first, then when funds allow, get some custom tunes. You'll notice a big difference. Just be careful when at WOT too long, without knowing your fuel psi or EGT might lead to trouble.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did put the blue spring in last weekend, so fuel should be good! EGT gauge will soon follow! THanks again!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up the SCT tonight, put in the 80hp tune and WOW! Big difference over a programmed 7.3 that is for sure!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picked up the SCT tonight, put in the 80hp tune and WOW! Big difference over a programmed 7.3 that is for sure!!!
looking to get a SCT.. what one did you purchase.. The SF3 or X3? whats the difference between them.

I am not looking to blow my head gaskets but have the Banks intake, 4" Turbo back Muf/Cat delete exhaust and K&N filter (was this way when i purchased) and would like better economy.

I plan on adding the EGR delete this week and a EGT guage..

2005 F350 4X4 King Ranch, Crew Cab 6'4" bed, 4" lift.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Better economy here's what I would do in your place:

-Before anything Monitoring Solution know what's going on under the hood before you move forward. That money you may use for HP, may be needed elsewhere. Check my sig for the Monitoring Thread.

-SCT X3 from the tuner you want files from, get the package with their Performance, Street, and Tow file and have them written for stock bolts. (No reason not to run custom files, and be able to work with the tuner for exactly what you want out of them, and know what to expect.) As mentioned, most 6.0L owners see their best MPGs with the highest HP tune they have and a responsible right foot.

-The Banks intake? Is that their airbox or the intake elbow of theirs?

-Get the K&N filter out of the truck as soon as you can, and run either a stock filter, AFE, or S&B intake system. Reason is reliablity, and the K&N is known to lead to turbo failures due to dust/dirt intake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks!
I just ordered the Dashboss with EGT kit...
The Banks deal is the Red Elbow with Grey Pipe from innercooler...

If I understand correctly, I should get the SCT X3 with programing for stock bolts (as i have stock bolts) once I have monitored the truck for a few weeks?

I am new to this 6.0L, how do I know what is out of spec when monitoring with Dashboss? that may be a new search..

thank you again for your time and info.

Jim

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Thanks!
I just ordered the Dashboss with EGT kit...
The Banks deal is the Red Elbow with Grey Pipe from innercooler...

If I understand correctly, I should get the SCT X3 with programing for stock bolts (as i have stock bolts) once I have monitored the truck for a few weeks?

I am new to this 6.0L, how do I know what is out of spec when monitoring with Dashboss? that may be a new search..

thank you again for your time and info.

Jim
Check the monitoring thread in my sig. I cover most of the monitoring platforms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts