Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in some other forums that people have recently had trouble uploading custom tunes to there trucks with the SCT devices, has anyone uploaded or recently installed custom tunes with a SCT device? Want to know before I purchase $350 worth of custom tunes for my x4. I heard it may have to do with the EPA coming down on a lot of companies including derive systems

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've had problems with my x4. Just last week I changed to a tow tune to tow a heavy load. It loaded fine, no hiccups. Next day I went to load the performance file back and it stopped half way, give me an error message and told me to load the stock file. But it wouldn't load it. Truck was dead, wouldn't do anything but give error messages even I turned the switch on. About 2 hours in the phone with SCT finally got it fixed. They had to take over my computer with the x4 connected and basically ended up reloading a stock file to it and checking it for corrupted files. Re loaded the stock file. Then had to re load my custom file because I'm deleted. My breath was held the whole time I think while it loaded. This has happened to me twice. If anyone knows why that'd be awesome. SCT says they don't know why this is happening. Some how the files are getting corrupted randomly. I never hooked it up to a computer or updated between switching tunes.
If I had it to do over I wouldn't use an SCT. Would probably go ez lynk. I have a 2012

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 06 F350 6.0 and use the SCT X4. I have some custom tunes loaded that i purchased also. I have noticed lately that sometimes switching from one tune to another that I get a error message that says to load stock tune file. I then try to load it and I get same message again. If I unplug the X4 then plug it in again it will load the stock tune. Then I can load the tune change. I update mine on there web site every 4 months or so. Not sure if maybe that was the cause of it acting up now and again. I also tried to load the performance canned tune but it wouldn't let me keep the EGR delete working so the engine light stayed on. I also got the trouble codes for the EGR. I had to stick with the canned tunes loaded to get it to work with my EGR delete.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I loaded my tyrant tunes on my 11 a month ago and had no problems. I was concerned so i contactcted who i bought tune from. He said thers no problems with loading custom tunes thru the sctx4

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,210 Posts
EPA came down on SCT and their tuning. So if you are going to use the preloaded SCT. Canned tunes, they are EPA friendly.

You can use the SCT as a platform for custom tuning still.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I switched tunes last night although I really just wanted to lower the tpms. I couldn't get to the prompts for that without going into tune vehicle. Switched to a street tune changed the tpms and all the loading seemed to go fine took a little while though. No errors thankfully. But the tpms came on right away and now two of them are reading wrong.
Seeing you guys having loading issues worries me. Mine did the put back to stock dead truck scare once but worked itself out doing the load again.
If that were to happen again hows there support going to be with all this crap going on?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You can lower TPMS with an SCT?.....news to me. Why don't you just use forscan to do that, you won't have to mess with tuning at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I didn't know you could!! Dont know much about forscan. I briefly read a thread about using it to monitor using a little tablet. I would like to see egt's, oil pressure and trans temp.

·
Administrator
21,550 Posts
you boys are playing with fire, this is how they get you to install updates to solve issues.

Then TPMS turns into a bricked tuner and a dealer reflash.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Should be able to with forscan.
you boys are playing with fire, this is how they get you to install updates to solve issues.

Then TPMS turns into a bricked tuner and a dealer reflash.
Imo, I'd rather get a deplete tune anyways vs running the older ourltdated sct software. But maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well its older sct firmware for the tpms adjustment issue not working. I read that newer firmware has this adjustment without out tuning.Which is what got me to plugging it in to the truck last night. Thinking mine is too old. Not sure why it gives me the options to change things then doesn't change them though or what the loading error is about. lol Little bit scared now to change it. I'll look into forscan to handle the tpms part. Idk what the hell to do with the rest.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Holy crap that's a big change in power. Feels a lot better!! Tpms is reading closer this morning now too. Had two of them reading 20 psi off. Now its 6 psi off that could be my gauge I haven't check it in a little while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts