Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sct tuner

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  PaulBoss 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a used sct sx3 that was used to tune a mustang he says it's unlocked and has five unlocks left what else could do I need to look for or ask about? Thanks alot

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
I bought my sct used, saved a BUNDLE-Enough to pay for 2 tunes and the tuner vs just a tuner had I went new. If the price is right, and it's unlocked, and has unlocks left, I'd say go for it. Plan on some custom tunes unless it was the model that came with canned tunes-have him give you the model number so you can check it out!

#4 ·
It's a 3015 i think is what he said and it's 200 shipped he's had it 6months

#5 ·
The 3015 is the SF3.

If it's a X-3 model, you will need to look at the device serial number. The original X-3 was capable of holding canned and custom tunes, the serial number starts with X3.

The newer style X-3 will only do custom tunes, the serial number will start with XP.

With the X-3's the serial number will also determine which SCT firmware and/or tune revision to download onto your PC. The original and newer X-3's take different downloads.

$200 isn't bad if it's unlocked and has unlocks left!

#6 ·
Well if it's the sf will it do the custom tunes?

#7 ·
The 3015 is the SF3. It will come with 3 preprogrammed tunes and the space for 3 custom tunes. If its unlocked and unmarried you should be good to go. For information reasons if the unit was linked to the mustang then there will only be 4 unlocks left...

#9 ·
SCT!!!!! They build the best tuning platform for the 6.0L. The SF3 will come with canned tunes from SCT that are good. You also have the room for 3 cutom tunes. I would recommend Matt@Gearheadautomotiveperformance for custom tunes.

#11 ·
So basically if this thing is unlocked with 5 left it should be ok and able to pull my strategy and put the custom tunes correct?

#12 ·
Yes, when you go receive it make sure you update it first. Then hook it up to your truck to pull up the strategy and contact a custom tune writer with your info.

Once you load a tune onto the truck, the SCT device will use up one of the locks.

#13 ·
You are buying a tuner-it will not have any tunes. You will have to email one of the reputable tuners (I like innovative) and buy/have them email you tunes to put on the tuner. As it is, you can check your strategy, but until you buy a tune that's all you can do.

#14 ·
If it is the SF3 model or the original X-3, you will be able to use the canned tunes until you get your custom tunes.

#15 ·
i plan on getting custom tunes as soon as i get the tuner but im just scared of wasting 200 bucks and still have to buy a new one?

#16 ·
Look at it this way. If you spend $200, more than likely the worst thing that will happen, aside from not working being the worst, is it will be locked and will have to be sent off to SCT and pay them their $150 to unlock it and then you will be in the neighborhood of a new one.

#17 ·
unlocks are 1 thing then there is also whether it is vin locked or not, you have to check the status under device info, if it says married or unmarried, or if it has a strategy listed in device info, if it is unmarried then you are ok, if it has a strategy listed in device info then the4 last vehicle it tuned was not returned to stock and is vin locked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.