Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The truck is a single rear axle 2006 F-350 lariat Fx4. The turbo went out on me last weekend, so I'm replacing it with an aftermarket turbo. I have a K&N air intake system and 6 inch silverline exhaust. The head studs and egr have not been modified to my knowledge. So here are te coming upgrades from outlaw diesel: Stage I vgt hybrid turbo, SCT livewire tuner with custom tunes, and egr delete kit. Does any one foresee any issues with this setup? Also should i put in the extra G and get a Stage II turbo? I'm pretty sure I would need to upgrade the head studs and gasket and injectors to even be able to take advantage/handle the bigger turbo. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much more will the headstuds cost me in labor...Im not worried about the cost of the kit I'm worried about the labor cost and weather or not the dealer shop will be willing to do it. I doubt that the dealership is going to do the egr delete so ill have to do that myself, they might do the headstuds...

·
Registered
234 Posts
It all depends on who does it... i got lucky and got mine done for free under warranty. ive heard of some people doing it for like 600 and some for like 2000. They are not really that necessary and if you do just do the egr delete then that will reduce the risk of you lifting a head but its still vulnerable to it. If your strapped for cash and cant find a decent deal then i would just wait until you do blow your hg's (if at all) and then try to find a dealer who will put them in under warranty.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats kind of what i figured I'd do...the turbo I'm going to be running isn't that much bigger than the stock turbo...If at some point I do lift a head gasket, it'll be just as much to fix when/if it happens as it will now...with the egr kit I wont be at as much risk...one question about the EGR, should I get one with and up pipe or with out, I dont really know the difference...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Since you have an '06, you have a scoop in your up-pipe. I would get an EGR delete with the up-pipe so you get rid of the scoop in the pipe for better flow.

-French

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah the stage II would be pointless without injectors and I dont want to that yet...ill take care of that when the ones I have go bad...

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
did your turbo go because of the k&n your running? we all hear bad stories of the k&m dusting your turbo or motor. many will tell you to get rid of it. i seen it happen on 2 of my buddy's trucks.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Ive seen pics of a kn and you can see holes in it, not good on ny motor let alone a turbo charged. Id never have one on my truck

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah the K&N is going...i dont have to replace the whole sytem, I can actually put an afe filter in place of the K&N filter...thats on the way too...yeah the k&n does develop holes that allows dust and send to get into the turbo and engine...mine isn't very old so I dont think that has happened yet...from what I hear the afe's are alot better and actually allow more airflow, so thats what im putting on...the turbo blew because of the egr valve...so im deleting it instead of replacing the valve (duh right) and throwing on a bigger turbo...im gonna look at the turbo when they get it off, I wouldn't be surprised to find some crap in there from the intake...as far as studs go, it'll cost just as much to do the studs and head gasket when/if the factory ones malfunction as it will now...which could prove untimely, but it may never be an issue until 170,000 or so when that sort of thing can be expected...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A little update on the build, It's looking like I'm going to be putting in an 03 turbo w/ and stage I hybrid upgrade instead of an upgraded 06' turbo...so this should be pretty awesome...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Just an fyi-the 06 turbo will make for a better upgrade due to the larger bearings, and they put the 10 blade 03 turbine wheel in them to reduce backpressure so you are not gaining anything using an 03 turbo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it is really a matter of which i can get first...the 06' stage one is gonna take over a week, the 03' stage I will only be a few days if we can get the builder to get the mod on it since he has already rebuilt it stock...for me I need my truck back on the road...which ever one is finished first is getting bolted in...the bigger barrings on the 06 is good, but I really like the rolling whistle sound of the 03' turbo, which would be even better with the upgrade...so which ever one is ready first is getting put in...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.