Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running the SCT "canned tunes" for just over a year and ran the street tune daily to improve power, shifting etc. I was pretty happy with it but it wasn't perfect and the shift points seemed to be off especially when downshifting with the tow button on.

I decided sunday to order the Gearhed custom Street Race Lite (SRL) tune (since I don't have studs) and I am completely blown away! I thought the difference from stock to canned tune was big but the Gearhead tune is on another level entirely. The turbo lag seems non-existant now and the truck picks up and goes immediately after the skinny pedal is hit!

The shift points are amazing and there's zero jerk like I had previously with the canned tunes. The tow button also seems to work better since I use it to descend a big hill from my house every morning. The GH also has smoother power, I can't think of a better way to say it but it pulls hard the entire time.

There's also noticeably less black smoke when I get on the gas which is interesting and the gas mileage has gone up 3-4mpg depending on how hard I'm running her.

The last thing I'll say about Gearhead is the customer service is ON POINT! I ordered the tune on Sunday and filled out a request form with my vehicle details. By Monday morning at 9am I had the tune in my email and was able to get it on the truck asap. I had a couple questions afterwards and the guys responded to my email questions within 30min each time.

I am by no means associated with Gearhead and I was actually about to order from another company when a friend recommended these guys. I hope this helps someone, I couldn't be more pleased. :x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before my 6.0 I had a 13 EcoBoost. Custom tunes would blow away the strategy tunes.

I used my old X3 and loaded the strategy tune to my 6.0 and it did improve it, but now I'm ready for a custom tune! I'm gonna wait until I have the studs done to go all out.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Before my 6.0 I had a 13 EcoBoost. Custom tunes would blow away the strategy tunes.

I used my old X3 and loaded the strategy tune to my 6.0 and it did improve it, but now I'm ready for a custom tune! I'm gonna wait until I have the studs done to go all out.
A good custom tune will be safer on the stock head bolts than the canned ones.

Reactions: jeremiah77

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Good to hear. I'm currently looking into getting some custom tunes from Gearhead as well, so I appreciate your review

I did notice you mentioned considerably less black smoke now vs. the canned tune. Are you running bigger turbo/injectors or are you stock? Reason being, I'm running the SCT canned street tune now (stock injectors/turbo) and I don't see any black smoke at all...even at WOT.

-jokester

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
There are some pretty good guys over there at GH and they do some quality work.
There are some pretty good guys over there at PHP too. The quality is also exceptional.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I did notice you mentioned considerably less black smoke now vs. the canned tune. Are you running bigger turbo/injectors or are you stock? Reason being, I'm running the SCT canned street tune now (stock injectors/turbo) and I don't see any black smoke at all...even at WOT.

-jokester
When I went from canned to Gearhead (I was 100% stock then) the street tune (I think what's the mild power one?) made ok power but was smokey and hot, the performance one made even less power but was even smokier. Gearheads Extreme SRL was way better almost no smoke and the transmission shift was great and to this day still my favorite shifting out of every tuner I've tried.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When I went from canned to Gearhead (I was 100% stock then) the street tune (I think what's the mild power one?) made ok power but was smokey and hot, the performance one made even less power but was even smokier. Gearheads Extreme SRL was way better almost no smoke and the transmission shift was great and to this day still my favorite shifting out of every tuner I've tried.
I run the SRL+ tune on my 05 Ex and only time it smokes is when I apply the led foot to the skinny pedal. Momentary smoke and clears quick - good sized puff. Shifts nice, only complaint on shifting is between 50-60 mph jumps back and forth between gears on small throttle (my bad not to get Matt to modify).

My wife's 03 Ex has the SRL tune and the smoke is a lot heavier when the led foot is applied to the skinny pedal. Shifting is the same as the SRL+ nice shift points but same problem between 50-60 mph.

Both tunes are an improvement over the canned tunes. The SRL+ has to be driven carefully on wet pavement or you WILL break loose on the rear end (the wife hates it as I have Eaton posi rear end - the sideways slide doesn't work for her).

Also have GH 8k and unlimited tow tunes. The 8k is to hot for our trailer and the hills where we live but the unlimited works really good. Lots of steep hills where we are in the mountains grade 5-8 and go for miles. Estimate trailer around 7,000 lbs and another 1500 lbs loaded in truck.

GH extreme tune is crazy and runs very hot, have to monitor EGT very carefully. Rat raced with a GT Mustang on the highway and the GT driver was impressed. Very rarely use this tune - wife won't even drive my Ex is this tune is loaded.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Good info here, Thx! If mine is studded is there a different tune I can get? And is there a heavy tow tune for like 20K?

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Good info here, Thx! If mine is studded is there a different tune I can get? And is there a heavy tow tune for like 20K?
There are endless possibilities of tunes that you can get from numerous different writers. And yes, there is usually a tow tune or two available from them as well. Dang, 20K!! :surprise:

-jokester

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Well, Maybe only 18K but this 550 is also pretty heavy all by itself.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
There are endless possibilities of tunes that you can get from numerous different writers. And yes, there is usually a tow tune or two available from them as well. Dang, 20K!! :surprise:

-jokester
I agree with jokester00. Contact the writer you want to purchase from and let them know what mods you have and they will provide a solution for you. I am happy with my Gearhead tunes but I have also seen nothing but good reviews on other suppliers of custom tunes. To be honest I haven't tried others tunes so I can't speak to the operation of them - what I have isn't broken so I don't fix it.:grin:

Awesome rig and trailer :thumb:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Nice!

-jokester
I agree with jokester00. Contact the writer you want to purchase from and let them know what mods you have and they will provide a solution for you. I am happy with my Gearhead tunes but I have also seen nothing but good reviews on other suppliers of custom tunes. To be honest I haven't tried others tunes so I can't speak to the operation of them - what I have isn't broken so I don't fix it.:grin:

Awesome rig and trailer :thumb:
Thank you!!! I will look into a custom tune soon!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for pointing me in Gear Heads direction. I just messaged them and look forward to getting a custom tune!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts