Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is going in to the dealer for the 30k service and list of recalls (reflash / IC cluster, fuel tank brace, seat back). I'm worried that they will reflash it and my current SCT tune will not work anymore. Someone had mentioned that SCT's tunes do not work on the latest flash. Has anyone experienced this?

Currently, I run the very old 1.20-OR tune. My truck is a Job1 and has never been flashed since purchase. I think the most recent update (before purchase) was the flame-thrower flash. Beyond that, nothing has been done to it. Runs great though.

Can I allow them to reflash it (I'd like the improvements to the cruise control, etc) and just download the newest SCT files for my 9621, or will it really not work at all with the most recent flash?

It's going in tomorrow, and now I'm a little paranoid and not sure what to do.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
327 Posts
My truck is going in to the dealer for the 30k service and list of recalls (reflash / IC cluster, fuel tank brace, seat back). I'm worried that they will reflash it and my current SCT tune will not work anymore. Someone had mentioned that SCT's tunes do not work on the latest flash. Has anyone experienced this?

Currently, I run the very old 1.20-OR tune. My truck is a Job1 and has never been flashed since purchase. I think the most recent update (before purchase) was the flame-thrower flash. Beyond that, nothing has been done to it. Runs great though.

Can I allow them to reflash it (I'd like the improvements to the cruise control, etc) and just download the newest SCT files for my 9621, or will it really not work at all with the most recent flash?

It's going in tomorrow, and now I'm a little paranoid and not sure what to do.

Thanks guys!
Not sure if you have a choice in the matter as to if they flash it or not and once they do flash it than you cannot go back.

I have a job 1 and had the flash done in december that fixed the cruise control and changes the display to tell me that the truck is in Regen mode...all the time.

I don't like the new flash and am sure that I got better mileage before with the old one and fewer regens. Not sure of compatability of the SCT as I didn't get mine unil June of this year. That being said, my SCT works flawlessly with the new flash.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you have a choice in the matter as to if they flash it or not and once they do flash it than you cannot go back.

I have a job 1 and had the flash done in december that fixed the cruise control and changes the display to tell me that the truck is in Regen mode...all the time.

I don't like the new flash and am sure that I got better mileage before with the old one and fewer regens. Not sure of compatability of the SCT as I didn't get mine unil June of this year. That being said, my SCT works flawlessly with the new flash.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd read somewhere that the newer flash regens more frequently in an effort to reduce the duration of each regen. I'm sure that doesn't help mileage.

As soon as I get it back, the DPF is going back in the basement, so the regen frequency isn't an issue. Just hoping to get this out of the way so they quit nagging me about recalls, and for the few fixes not relating to regens, like cruise.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i hope SCT is almost done, i had my truck in for warranty work the other week and they reflashed my truck, i hav an SCT tuner and cat/dpf delete pipe waiting to go on my truck, how long does it usually take SCT?

·
Registered
327 Posts
This flash doesn't seem to be out for us in Canada yet. Myford.ca where i have an accout for my truck says I am all up to date. Hope SCT gets it figured out soon.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just tell them you do not want the truck reflashed . Heck cover up the port with something ....

·
Registered
218 Posts
actually i just checked the sct website and i think they have the update for ford's new reflash so my problem might be solved, im gonna try to update the software tomorrow

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually i just checked the sct website and i think they have the update for ford's new reflash so my problem might be solved, im gonna try to update the software tomorrow
have you noticed any difference in the truck from the new flash? what time will you be doing this test?? i go in at 10am for the service and have to decide! :doh:

·
Registered
218 Posts
have you noticed any difference in the truck from the new flash? what time will you be doing this test?? i go in at 10am for the service and have to decide! :doh:
i hav noticed more regens and when it is cleaning the dpf, the message will come up for a second then it will disappear and continue cleaning the dpf, im gonna try to get the doc/dpf delete pipe on tomorrow and im hoping the updated sct software works, im anxious to drive my truck without all the emission bs on there

·
Registered
2,534 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i hav noticed more regens and when it is cleaning the dpf, the message will come up for a second then it will disappear and continue cleaning the dpf, im gonna try to get the doc/dpf delete pipe on tomorrow and im hoping the updated sct software works, im anxious to drive my truck without all the emission bs on there
Thanks for the info. Make sure you tune it before going through the hassle of removing the dpf... just in case it doesn't load. You probably already knew that though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I went in there today... all stock, as far as the engine and exhaust go. Had them do recalls (minus the flash) and trans 30k service, fuel filters. Doing the oil myself. Seems straight forward right? WRONG.

I go in, talk to the guys, and request not to have the flash. They say, no problem, and ask me if I have a chip in it. I say no, I don't want to blow the head gaskets. (Had to say something). Just don't want it reflashed. Then one guy mentions that I should get a tuner for it. So I play along. He says how, with more fuel, they make a lot of power, and comments that the head bolts are much bigger now, and the heads will be fine. Says he has one and did it. I asked if I took the dpf off, would it void the warranty. He didn't directly say, but just said to let them know in advance of doing work on it, and it will be fine.

So I pick the truck up... here's where things get interesting. You'd figure the trans flush & filter, and fuel filters wouldn't be a big deal. Routine service. They even ordered the job1 external filter last week for todays service. I crawl under the truck... see the diesel on the frame rail from the fuel filter. Check. Look for the external trans filter.... its the OLD one. Complete with road grime and a tiny bit of rust. That... and my oil pan has fresh wet marks around the drain plug like they did something with it. (Did not have an oil change.) Trans pan and plug looked untouched. Also, the oil filter cap on top of the engine looked to have been removed. Thin wet line around the seam. The fuel filter cap on top looked untouched. Checked the engine oil and trans fluid. Trans fluid is freshly pink. (was a little darker before). Engine oil is black and was not changed (was not scheduled to be, so thats fine).

So now I get to spend tomorrow (since it was around 6pm when I picked it up) figuring out why my oil drain plug and filter cap looked messed with, why my upper fuel filter looked like it hadn't and why I have an old trans filter (was not charged for one... only listed to perform the change on the to-do list, but no charge for any part or labor for that.)

Oh, and to top it all off.... under the reason listed for not performing the reflash.. it says this:
CUST REQUEST NOT TO PERFORM RECALL DUE TO MODIFIED CHIP IN PCM
I brought it in STOCK!!!!!! WTF!!! Does the receipt go into the national computer system like that???

Why is it so hard to get things to go smoothly at the dealership??

·
Registered
218 Posts
i updated my sct tuner and it works fine with fords new reflash so dont worry about them reflashing ur truck if they do, taking of the cat and dpf was the best decision i have made, love the sound, the power, my truck is way more fun to drive now

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like they're more boldly stating the speedometer corrections, listed under adjustable options. Does anyone know if these newer tune revisions can actually correct for larger than 35" tires properly now?

Added Adjustable Options for:
-Aftermarket Cold Air Intake
-DPF Delete On or Off (Only on OR Versions)
-Speedometer Corrections Due to Tire Size or Axle Change
-Traction Control On/Off
-WOT Shift Points
(What's interesting is, axle change should have no effect on the speedometer because the computer uses the carrier / actual axle shaft speed, to measure actual wheel speed. Gears would have no effect because the reduction *pinion to ring* takes place between the driveshaft / pinion and carrier, not between the carrier and axle shafts.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
u think ill be alright running the canned extreme tune as a daily driver? it shifts pretty nice, just making sure i wont hav any problems in the future or shorten the life of my tranny

1 - 20 of 25 Posts