Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i know everyone's opinion on the SCT but i have a few questions about some of their products and who better to ask then the people who use them. I am looking into the livewire at the moment, can you change the power settings while on the road or will I need to upload custom tunes when I want to change my power settings. I drive fairly light footed, but i know if i had the power on hand at all times I would use it. In the fear of blowing my head gastek I was looking at the Banks Ottomind 6. I know everyone is against banks, however it seems to be a good product for me. I am looking for better economy and towing power as my brother wants to purchase a 35'+ toy hauler. I do not want to reprogram my truck and have the chance of losing my stock settings, this is my only hesitation. Sorry for the long post, any assistance is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
you cannot "change on the fly", gotta stop and load. if you're gonna add power, do it the right way via custom tunes. It's just as possible to stretch bolts whether using the ottomind, custom tuens or even stock. You will not lose your stock tune, the livewire/xcal saves it to the device.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm sure you don't have any clue of what performance you can have with the sct , compare to others . like others said do it the right way the first time . I'm also sure that in tow mode all the time it would be faster than the other programmer .

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Take a drive out to Surprise and I'll let you drive my truck... You'll never consider anything other than an SCT! I tow all the time and switch to my tow tune, other than that I either have the Looney or Extreme Race loaded... :thumb:

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I used the Edge and Superchips tuners on my truck, they were good. I then caved to the SCT and wow what a difference. I caved once more and splurged on the custom tunes by Eric at ID can you say woo wee!!
I use the Extreme Race as my daily driver and love it. By the way if you you read my posts I am not usually on anyones bandwagon, but these guys are dead on on this one.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
99% of the tuners we sell for the 6.0l are the Innovative Diesel custom tuned SCT products. The head diesel tech at our local dealership even buys them from us for his customers. He claims to have seen more piston and headgasket problems from Banks and all the others than the SCT.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the livewire with a tow tune and i suppose i will go with a power tune or two as well. Now if i can just figure out how to get my studs replaced under warranty... thank you all for your assistance.

Evil eye, i rarely make it out there, but i wouldnt mind being able to smoke my brother's dmax with his PDA

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about headstuds with the sct IF you tell the person tunning it that you do not have headstuds, they can tune it accordingly. I have drove mine hard since i got it last Dec. and no head issues. I see EGTs that are alarmingly high but my boost stays in check at or below 30 lbs.
I have basically tryed to break something on this 6.0 and can not...and people say they aren't a good engine...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well then, it may be worth giving my mechanic at the dealership a few hundred bucks to call it "warranty" IF it happens. Or ill get some large huevos and do it myself. I suppose it does make sense to let the people I am ordering from that i do not have head studs done. Thank you for the assistance!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that being said, which SCT set up should i get? I like gauges, but it seems to make more sense to get the system that has digital display.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I have the Quadzilla Commander guage and i love it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I also have a SCT from Eric at ID and I tow alot. I have had no problems with it. Also tommorw I am putting on my FASS 150/180 so we will see what happens when I have alittle more fuel pressure. Here is a way to set up gauges and still keep the grab handle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i am leaning toward the SCT livewire. It looks as though it gives readouts so there shouldnt be a need for all of the gauges, although I love the look, theyre expensive for me. I wont be purchasing for a while yet, but I am rather sure that is what I will be installing.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I have seen a lot of people that bought the Livewire and were disappointed in the monitoring aspect of it. I went with the XCal3 because of that and bought an Edge Insight to monitor things. I am real happy with that combo. The Insight is a nice piece.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts