Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - so how do I switch the tunes on my truck - if and when I buy a SCT? What if I am doing my normal 72 mile drive to the jobsite - economy all the way. Then on the way back - some dweeb in a ricer riding my tail decides he is going to jump out and pass like a jerk and I choose to shut him down - I need the Looney for that one - but how do I switch to it?

Is there a little dial somewhere? is there a toggle menue to go through? How is it done?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
you can not switch the tunes on the go. you would have to pull over, shut down and change tunes.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Okay - so how do I switch the tunes on my truck - if and when I buy a SCT? What if I am doing my normal 72 mile drive to the jobsite - economy all the way. Then on the way back - some dweeb in a ricer riding my tail decides he is going to jump out and pass like a jerk and I choose to shut him down - I need the Looney for that one - but how do I switch to it?

Is there a little dial somewhere? is there a toggle menue to go through? How is it done?
The SCT tunes are changed by turning off the truck and plugging up the programmer to the OBD-II and loading it into the ECU. Unfortunately, this is the only way it can be done. What you are thinking of is a "flip chip" that allows you to change the tune by flipping a switch.

If you aren't going any kind of heavy towing, I would just leave it on looney and smoke the ricer. Get gauges first, of course, to monitor everything. You will get better mileage out of the looney provided you can keep your foot off of it. Good luck on your purchase of a great product!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it really safe to drive daily in the Looney type toons?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Is it really safe to drive daily in the Looney type toons?
Absolutely! But an exhaust, gauges, and proper driving are alway a must. I use DJ's Looney Wild tune as my daily driver for the mileage, but should some punk want to come around and "slang his thang" around, I can show him what's up.

As long as you are not punching it every minute on the road and stretching those stock head bolts, you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So --- if your running this tune as a daily commutter - as a guestimate - what kind of mileage are you seeing? Did you notice an increase? As an increase is my whole reason of getting a tuner of some sort.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So --- if your running this tune as a daily commutter - as a guestimate - what kind of mileage are you seeing? Did you notice an increase? As an increase is my whole reason of getting a tuner of some sort.
The hotter the tune, the better mileage you will get if you can keep the skinny pedal off the firewall. But be warned, you will be tempted to use that speed once you have it...DJ has made me a speed-addict now with the SCT:thumb:

My mileage was a huge increase over stock. I put my exhaust on first, then loaded the looney tune. Stock I was getting about 11-12 mpg in the city and now I'm getting about 16-18 mpg depending on traffic in the city! The mileage gains are also higher if you do more highway driving. I've seen 21+ heading down to Miami on I-75 with this new looney wild. You won't be disappointed, this I can assure you:icon_ford:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does all this stuff cost? SCT around - what $350 - $400? Then what about the tunes? Is there a cost to them?

What guages (brand and type) to use? I know an EGT is nearly required - but what brand/type?

I do tow on occasion - when i go on mission - its all tow and not running Looney is understandable - but what about the mishap of the mind and I hook a trailer for 20 miles - will Looney hurt anything there? Like a quick pick-up around the block? (ministry - pick up a couch or something with the trailer)

·
Registered
590 Posts
What does all this stuff cost? SCT around - what $350 - $400? Then what about the tunes? Is there a cost to them?

What guages (brand and type) to use? I know an EGT is nearly required - but what brand/type?

I do tow on occasion - when i go on mission - its all tow and not running Looney is understandable - but what about the mishap of the mind and I hook a trailer for 20 miles - will Looney hurt anything there? Like a quick pick-up around the block? (ministry - pick up a couch or something with the trailer)
Talk to DJ and Vivian @ DJ diesel to get a price on the SCT. They worked me up a great price and I'm sure they will do the same for you. If you get the SCT through them they offer lifetime free tunes!! And boy do they stand behind it. They will work with you based on driving style and mods to create you a set of perfect tunes for you. There is no limit on the number of tunes you can get from them for free. They email them to you and you just upload them to the SCT and put them onto your truck.

For gauges I went with ISSPro and am very happy with them, but they didn't offer the backlit colors I would have preferred. They are very accurate along with the Autometer gauges. I would stick get a Pyrometer and boost gauge for sure. Any others are really just up to you. I just stuck on a volt gauge because I couldn't think of anything else.

I tow a boat as well 20' sea-doo wakeboarding boat with my looney and don't have any problems. I've even towed it down the freeway about 40 miles away at 75 mph and had no problems. I also put palettes of tile, cement, drywall, durarock, masonite board, and other construction stuff without a problem. If you tow a large trailer with over 6000-7000 lbs. on a consistant basis, I wouldn't use the looney. The temperatures can get mighty high in there. But for what you are talking about, you should be perfectly fine...just drop to a lower gear if you are pulling uphill or with a large payload.

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
:woot::nod:i run sct custom xtreme race from innovative as my daily driver and have had no issues at all. and, by the way, i totally love it! get great mileage even with 37's.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
+1 for SCT!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts