Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know from someone that has an SCT programmer for the 6.4 powerstorke what is the advantage of a custom tune over the generic tunes that come with the programmer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went with KEM 125HP tune and seems to have more power than the canned tune and shifts great. I just updated the newest firm and software from SCT and tried all the tunes. Wasn't happy with them. TC locks around 45 with the canned tunes and around 50mph with KEM. I also have the shift pressure upped to 25% over the stock ftr. Truck from a standstill with 37's will bake the tires through 2nd gear and keep pulling hard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do have an SCT with customs tune in it, it does the job but the screen is so cheap, when it's cold you can't see nothing like for half an hour and the wheel to adjust your settings doesn't work really well. I'm thinking about changing it for an H&S tuner, I like the switch on the fly and the screen look way better than SCT and you can put KEM custom tunes as well in it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have their 'Extreme' version I suppose it is, the one that allows removal of DPF and EGR.

Once I was tired of the excessively smoky SCT tunes, I purchased one from Innovative Diesel for about $100. Much better shift quality, more power, etc.

Sure there are better units available, I paid a whopping $300 to be able to remove my DPF. The DPF removal pipe was about $150 from what I can recall, EGR blocking plates $40.

Yes, the display is poor. I do not use it in the cab unless towing a big load. Maybe someday I will pick up one of those Edge ones that sits off to the side if I can find a deal. Yet for the chump money I have invested into my rig, I think I came out on top.

Better fuel economy, longer oil change intervals, more power, no worry of coolant cracking my block.

·
To Many Projects
4,171 Posts
I am running reg sct tunes and the display is poor but I'm running an Edge in sight wich is great. I'm thinking about getting RCD 450 tune.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts