Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently switched to the power stroke world and as everyone seems to love SCT on all the ford platforms I decided to get the new GTX "computer free tune", plugged it in, updated via wifi and found it incapable of downloading tunes via wifi, after some research multiple people have mentioned it has to updated via PC, so I download the software from SCT, plug it in and of course the computer doesn't recognize it, next step: install drivers, great, except the SCT device is recognized as two separate unidentified devices, neither of which will accept the drivers; repeat steps with two more computers ranging from windows 7 to windows 10, same issue across the board. Ive been able to plug in an older SCT device and it connects to the computer and is recognized immediately. today I tried again with two different computers, same results.

Has anybody else had this issue and possibly found a solution? Im going to try and swap this one out for another one tomorrow if I can get into town early enough.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Mine came loaded with my tunes on the cloud so all I had to do was connect to WiFi and they downloaded to my tuner. Haven't had any complaints with the GTX.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just recently switched to the power stroke world and as everyone seems to love SCT on all the ford platforms I decided to get the new GTX "computer free tune", plugged it in, updated via wifi and found it incapable of downloading tunes via wifi, after some research multiple people have mentioned it has to updated via PC, so I download the software from SCT, plug it in and of course the computer doesn't recognize it, next step: install drivers, great, except the SCT device is recognized as two separate unidentified devices, neither of which will accept the drivers; repeat steps with two more computers ranging from windows 7 to windows 10, same issue across the board. Ive been able to plug in an older SCT device and it connects to the computer and is recognized immediately. today I tried again with two different computers, same results.

Has anybody else had this issue and possibly found a solution? Im going to try and swap this one out for another one tomorrow if I can get into town early enough.
I've actually had many problems with my SCT X4. I can't get my desktop to recognize it, my sister's laptop to recognize it(both show it as an ITX) but when i connect to my Dad's laptop it will let me download my tunes and update it. All i know is when i get it to work I'm happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine came loaded with my tunes on the cloud so all I had to do was connect to WiFi and they downloaded to my tuner. Haven't had any complaints with the GTX.
Mine is incapable of loading the downloaded tunes even after numerous factory resets, updates, etc. SCT wants to try and access it via my desktop / teamviewer this week as they don’t think it’s defective- it just doesn’t work, so they think they’ll be able to wipe it and re install the software / drivers or something.

I've actually had many problems with my SCT X4. I can't get my desktop to recognize it, my sister's laptop to recognize it(both show it as an ITX) but when i connect to my Dad's laptop it will let me download my tunes and update it. All i know is when i get it to work I'm happy.
I’m hoping they can get it to work, 3 computers and quite a few hours of searching and trying a multitude of methods left me and a few other people fairly frustrated. The hours of SCT’s support line doesn’t help much for us on the west coast either, pretty much the only option is to call at about 4 AM before work and hope it’s reaolved before I have to leave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I really don't like SCT's support. For something cosmetic, they wanted me to send my whole unit in. It was just my screen that was the issue, and I would have lost all my tunes and my stock tune so they could "diagnose it" even though I told them the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now onto the 2nd device, same issue, everything loads except the times. Probably going to return it and stay away from SCT products from now on.
I really don't like SCT's support. For something cosmetic, they wanted me to send my whole unit in. It was just my screen that was the issue, and I would have lost all my tunes and my stock tune so they could "diagnose it" even though I told them the issue.
That sounds crappy, they wanted my original device so they could send it to engineering.
I sent mine back in exchange for a Live Wire, no issues with the Live Wire.
The main reason I got this device was for the monitor and the ability to play with various tunes here and there for fun, at this point I’m probably going to go back to using edge products

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you have a strong Wifi signal? Out in my driveway I had a little issues because the signal was hit or miss. But I brought it inside and it loaded fine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
+1 with Scerb, you need to have a solid WiFi signal for it to work properly. And yea, that's what they said so they could send it to Engineering. My case was though, it's just the screen, why do you need the "cloud" box with all my data on it? He couldn't give me an answer so I fixed it myself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
As I said, initially I had the GTX, had problems with the cloud, engineering at SCT said the device wasn't perfected yet so I switched to the live wire. for the past 6 months the unit has been sitting inside my console. I installed a separate EGT temp gauge which is easy to read. Additionally, when I had the GTX, I thought it was a little too big to be suction cupped to my windshield.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
That blows. I have never had any issues with my SCT X4. I am using PHP custom tunes tho, not sure if they are different. You can’t buy a tuner here in California anymore. So I’m going to go give mine a hug.

Nobody will ship any performance item into the state as of 2014 IIRC. Some $30,000 fine for every item shipped is how I was told. I couldn’t even get a 4”down pipe shipped in. So it goes to Reno first lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That blows. I have never had any issues with my SCT X4. I am using PHP custom tunes tho, not sure if they are different. You can’t buy a tuner here in California anymore. So I’m going to go give mine a hug.

Nobody will ship any performance item into the state as of 2014 IIRC. Some $30,000 fine for every item shipped is how I was told. I couldn’t even get a 4”down pipe shipped in. So it goes to Reno first lol.
That's crazy. I thought is was bad here in NY with the liberals.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
As I said, initially I had the GTX, had problems with the cloud, engineering at SCT said the device wasn't perfected yet so I switched to the live wire. for the past 6 months the unit has been sitting inside my console. I installed a separate EGT temp gauge which is easy to read. Additionally, when I had the GTX, I thought it was a little too big to be suction cupped to my windshield.
It's the same size as my CTS2 was. I bought the GTX so I could monitor and not have to buy a separate unit like the CTS2 again. It's been good to me, aside from the LCD screen falling out that I fixed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just replaced a turd mini max with this unit, man what a difference. Before reading the instructions I plugged it in to my laptop, when I seen it wanted to install drivers I immediately unplugged it. No pc required remember! Straight to my rig and whammo, there’s my tyrant tune, beautiful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought my GTX for my 2015 F350 in April, I kept getting a reoccurring check engine light, all within 2 weeks of install, contacted SCT, got a story about my computer and plugging it into the device, used a different PC and then they said I had to send it back for them to download review and return. Well I got it back and it was a brand new GTX, hooked it all back up, and there was no tunes to be able to load. Contacted them they had me try to load a stock tune that they sent, it did load, but still no other tunes, so they had me give them all sorts of number from the device, and they were going to talk to engineering. Well after another month going by they tell me it’s on there “to do list”. Contacted them again and they said there having issues with the software and they need to rewrite it. Well it August and they told me today that they really don’t have an answer as to when it’s gonna be done, asked to talk to a supervisor, and of course they were all in meetings and would call me back. So 4 months with an expensive monitor and still no answers! Anyone else having any issues like this with there SCT GTX on a 2015 6.7L F350 ?

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That's because if it's a new tuner you need to contact who wrote your tunes, have them rewrite them for that GTX serial number and upload them to the cloud, then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Thought you were running custom tunes. I would advise to not running the SCT tunes on your truck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why is that ? And who do you recommend, I tried getting in touch with gear head but go no response, and heard they were not doing anything for the 6.7L

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
SCT tunes are known to be a little aggressive and could actually damage components. Gear Head does not do any tuning for the 6.7. I wish they did because I had them on both my 6.0's and loved them. Popular around here is Tyrant, I have them and love them, Innovative Diesel does them. There are more but can't recall at the moment.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts