Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a AFE pro gaurd7 with the boost tube and I think the filter is JUNK! I have constant check engine lights and even a PO401 EGR code caused from the air filer. I personally think the motor is sucking too hot of air and possible small amounts of dust.

I could be wrong but I think an enclosed filter is the way to go and much safer in the long run. I drive my truck very hard, I'm currently running SCT extreme race (soon custom race tunes) no dpf, and a spearco intercooler is going on soon, zex, etc...

What do you guys think? SB filer looks very nice and so does the Banks.

Chime in please -

·
Registered
182 Posts
I currently have a AFE pro gaurd7 with the boost tube and I think the filter is JUNK! I have constant check engine lights and even a PO401 EGR code caused from the air filer. I personally think the motor is sucking too hot of air and possible small amounts of dust.

I could be wrong but I think an enclosed filter is the way to go and much safer in the long run. I drive my truck very hard, I'm currently running SCT extreme race (soon custom race tunes) no dpf, and a spearco intercooler is going on soon, zex, etc...

What do you guys think? SB filer looks very nice and so does the Banks.

Chime in please -
I had the same question when purchasing my CAI. I decided to go w/S&B because of the price and it has a similar design to the banks. I think the banks set up is over priced. If I'm going to pay $400 for an intake I might as well get the Volant with the optional scoop.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I would keep the AFE...

But if you are switching then I suggest the S&B

·
Registered
333 Posts
Installed my S&B over the weekend. I am pleased with mine. I have dpf delete with sct livewire, once i put the s&b on sound changed way more than i thought it would , sounds awesome you should consider the delete pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Which part number AFE do you have? They changed the intakes for the 6.4l because of the CEL issue. AFE has always been the top quality intake in the diesel market. I understand you being upset with your situation, but AFE is far from junk. I have only seen a couple S&B intakes in person, and yes they are cheap. Volant makes a great intake also. We sell alot of them for the F-150.

p.s. I don't understand why you would get an EGR code from the intake?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure the exact part #. I tried the dry filter; which I think is crazy, how can you trust a dry filter on a truck the pushes almost 50psi! I regard to the EGR code, I have been working on this with SCT and they tell me it has to do with intake air temp being too high and to install the stock intake. So I installed the stock intake and the EGR problem went away. Also those light ga. rubber sealed clams will tear extremely easily if you try adjusting the intake when it's hot. If feel much more safe running a enclosed box intake system.

·
Registered
179 Posts
FYI the S&B is not a sealed unit either it has a scoop that sits right behind the battery that will pull in air from your engine compartment.I took my S&B off and am getting the afe.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
FYI the S&B is not a sealed unit either it has a scoop that sits right behind the battery that will pull in air from your engine compartment.I took my S&B off and am getting the afe.

I have the S&B on my truck. I have not had any issues with it so far! The filter does GET dirty, and yes it can draw in hotter engine compartment air as it is open.....

No CEL's or any driveability issues

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just purchased the Banks intake. I will let you guys know what I think.

-Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I just purchased the Banks intake. I will let you guys know what I think.

-Thanks for the replys.
I've had the Banks intake for about two weeks no codes and a quality product you wont be dissapointed:thumb:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the S&B, not a bad kit. I was also wondering when I installed it about the cutout in the housing allowing engine heat in, but I have plans on molding up some sort of diversion out of Kydex.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts