Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to the drag strip for cruise night tonight with my buddy, and as I was making a left onto the road that the strip is on, a common rail coming the other direction made a right onto it (so that we were both going the same way). He kept eye balling me while turning, and punched it once I turned and got behind him (I'm in my TDI with a huge front mount btw). I floor it and begin passing him as he's tossing bucket loads of smoke up from his dual stacks, but cars were coming the other way so I ease off and get back behind him.

I catch up to him after I park and he's waiting in the race-line, and ask what hes got done. I cant remember exactly what programmer he said he has... I *think* he said an edge juice w/ attitude (although later I talked to his buddy who seemed diesel-clueless and claims it was a bully dog), a full ats race tranny, and intake/exhaust mods. He said he's laying down 500hp+ and over 1k ft/lbs of tq. I told him good luck, and go smoke some ricers.

Well as it turns out, he pulls up next to a long-bed single cab Super Duty (mods unknown) with an SCT badge under the Super Duty emblem. I tell my buddy "poor powerstroke, he's about to get smashed by that common rail". They do their burnouts, the powerstrokes was kinda weak, very very little smoke, and the cummins did a massive burnout and was covering the whole strip in smoke.

The tree goes green and the super duty literally ran that guys nuts off all the way to the finish line. I found the SD later but couldn't find the owner... so I have NO clue of the mods.. but the turbo wasn't excessively loud, VERY little smoke, stock looking tires, and an SCT badge on the fender. My jaw was on the floor.

Just goes to show that massive-HP cummins CAN, and ARE, beat by Powerstrokes pushing less power.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
just cuz it smokes doesnt mean he iz pushin more power...maybe wasting more fuel !!!

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happens all the time even at the drags and pulls..a PS with less HP can take a C with more...to a point..
I've noticed that. It boggles my mind because the PSD is always heavier... but I realize that a LOT has to do with curve and area under the curve and yadda yadda yadda. Cummins are great for putting power down and good for towing, but due to their i6 nature they have a very limited torque curve.

just cuz it smokes doesnt mean he iz pushin more power...maybe wasting more fuel !!!
I talked to the guy. It dynoed over 500hp and 1k lbs of tq.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Either he was lying about the dyno, or he has more than what he told ya. A CR with just a tuner, exhaust and intake wont make 500+hp at the wheels

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
he uses dodge maths.... :doh:

·
Registered
69 Posts
i was at a dyno last weekend and there was only one other powerstroke there besides me. all the rest were dodges, and every single one of them smoked the building out, every driver talked smack, and they all were upset because "on a different dyno i made 200 more HP"

happens all the time.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you see his dyno sheet? Dodge guys talk out their *** all the time
Lol I know how that goes, believe me. But it's not hard to believe a common rail putting out those numbers

Either he was lying about the dyno, or he has more than what he told ya. A CR with just a tuner, exhaust and intake wont make 500+hp at the wheels
500hp to the wheels with an intake exhaust and tuner is a daily thing with common rails. Same as spartan-tuned 6.7's.... 1200lbs of tq all day long with just a spartan tune on a 6.7 psd.

he uses dodge maths.... :doh:
LOL!!!!!:icon_ford:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was at a dyno last weekend and there was only one other powerstroke there besides me. all the rest were dodges, and every single one of them smoked the building out, every driver talked smack, and they all were upset because "on a different dyno i made 200 more HP"

happens all the time.
hahahahahaha thats awesome :rofl:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Lol I know how that goes, believe me. But it's not hard to believe a common rail putting out those numbers

500hp to the wheels with an intake exhaust and tuner is a daily thing with common rails. Same as spartan-tuned 6.7's.... 1200lbs of tq all day long with just a spartan tune on a 6.7 psd.

LOL!!!!!:icon_ford:
Early CR with intake, exhaust and smarty make about 420, late ones make about 470. Now 6.7 with a tuner set on max, with intake exhaust and dpf delete do about 490. Not over 500

Oh and i'm sure you know a smarty is WAY hotter tuner than bullydog or edge

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Early CR with intake, exhaust and smarty make about 420, late ones make about 470. Now 6.7 with a tuner set on max, with intake exhaust and dpf delete do about 490. Not over 500

Oh and i'm sure you know a smarty is WAY hotter tuner than bullydog or edge
Yes smarty is the way to go on 24v's and CR's... but like I said, HE told me it was an Edge setup, his best-friend I talked to (when I couldn't find the driver) claimed it was a 'billy dog' tuner. So who knows.

The 6.7 psd's I've seen lay down 5-600hp and 1200lbs of tq easy with a tuner and supporting mods

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
the part I don't get is why guys with street tires who are going to race in 4wd do burnouts at the track:dunno:

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My bad, I should've specified 6.7 Cummins
Ah... I dont know much about the 6.7 cummins so I'll take your word on that one.

the part I don't get is why guys with street tires who are going to race in 4wd do burnouts at the track:dunno:
Ya that part absolutely kills me!! Street tires get SLIPPERY when they are hot, not STICKY! :rofl: Yet nearly every single vehicle that went down the lane did a burnout before racing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts