Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and installed a minimaxx and a dpf/doc delete pipe. I'm still running the stock air intake and exhaust. My question is: I was under the impression the 300HD/Hot tune was okay to run on my 2008 (job 2 or 3, I can't remember) and I wouldn't have head gasket issues. But I'm reading otherwise on the forum. I have been running the HD300 tune on HOT and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of, other than an engine overspeed code. I was running this tune to get the best MPG. Should I run a lower tune to be safe? I don't want to damage anything in the engine. If so, what tune?

I live in South Fla and don't have too many hills. It's a daily driver and the most I would tow is a 25ft open fisherman. EGT's haven't gone over 1450 and that was while I was really getting on it from a stoplight. I have defuel parameters setup on the mini.:confused:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It all depends on how you drive. If you put it to the floor at every intersection then you will eventually end up needing head gaskets and studs. If you driver sensibly then I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to go alot of trouble free miles. Just remember that parts can fail at any time though whether the truck is tuned or stock. It is just more common tuned because people tend to use the power that they have available at the push of a pedal. I have been running the hd300 on hot for a little while now with no issues but I drive fairly sensibly.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,898 Posts
Like 6.4 said, it's all in how you drive. I've been running the Spartan300 for a long while now. No issues. But I don't tow and I don't get on it often. I'm doing it for the MPG. Just keep your foot out of it 90% of the time and you will be fine on 300. But I would suggest dropping to a lower tune to tow (even light-ish loads) and get studs when you can. Then you don't really have to worry about it (til you push your tranny too hard... But that takes some doing).

Sent from a phone smarter than me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts