Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a lot of people say that if your tranny fluid has never been changed you shouldn't if you have over 100k miles. I have 120k and I was wondering what y'all think about it. I know gm recommends not doing it after 100k but I have no idea about fords.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I wouldn't flush it after so long... If you don't follow the correct procedures, then don't do it now.

Drain and fill back up is fine... It wont get everything out but most of it.. Couple drain and fills and it will be mostly clean!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Forgive my stupidity, but why shouldn't you flush them after 100k miles

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Every vehicle that I have heard about that got the tranny fluid changed for the first time after "about" 100k miles had the tranny go out within the year...

The Only thing I can think of is friction additives... When the tranny fluid is new it has a certain amount of friction additives. When it gets old, it wears down and loses those properties. The tranny gears, discs, ect get used to the lack of additives and when you flush you TOTALLY shock the tranny with the new "friction additives" that are with the new fluid and the parts inside the tranny wear out quicker and fail.

I had a honda accord and Dodge Ram both with about 120-140k when I swapped tranny fluids for the first time... Both got new trannies before I FIANLLY learned about this topic from my Father-in law:nod:

I would rather not try that again. And before you say that I did something wrong, I know my way around and did the fluid swap correctly.
NOT going down that path again, even If I can't stop any of you:thumb:

·
Registered
994 Posts
I cat believe I never knew this. Great topic.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that may be true but another reason is that all the little shards and shavings that built up that weren't hurting anything then get mixed around and then they build up in a place that they shouldn't be and that causes problems over time. If that made any sense lol

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Well that may be true but another reason is that all the little shards and shavings that built up that weren't hurting anything then get mixed around and then they build up in a place that they shouldn't be and that causes problems over time. If that made any sense lol

That made sense and might very well be a great explanation to the cause...

I just like sounding smart:lol:

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
What about mine? Flushed at 300k miles. For the first time ever. Still going. Two yrs later.
Depends on how you flush it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Interesting!

What is Fords recommended mileage for flushing?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I had ford flush my 2005 6.0 at 65k miles, sold it at 69k and the guy has been beating the crap out of it for half a year and lives down the street. Guess its okay haha

I will have to remember this

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I drained my tranny fluid and filled with new when my truck was at 85k... Works fine for now!

Maybe these Ford trannies are an exception and are really tough:dunno:

I can't explain but I won't be doing anything like that again lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't quote me but I think ford suggests between 85-100k. It might be lower on these newer trucks. I really hope someone with some real knowledge and experience will comment to firm up some of our theory's. I'm really nervous but I really think I need to at least change it if I don't flush it completely.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Drain it, fill it. Run it for 100 miles, drain it and change the filters and it will be clean.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had the 4R100 in my 2001 flushed by my Ford dealer for the first time at 87k miles. I had them flush and fill it with Schaeffer's All Trans and she's running perfect 2k miles later. It actually runs about 10 degrees cooler with the synthetic fluid.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i flushed mine at 90k miles and now have about 106k miles and it is running just as strong as day 1. from now on I will just do the drain and fill about every 20k

·
Registered
11,152 Posts
I had the 4R100 in my 2001 flushed by my Ford dealer for the first time at 87k miles. I had them flush and fill it with Schaeffer's All Trans and she's running perfect 2k miles later. It actually runs about 10 degrees cooler with the synthetic fluid.
Mine ran cooler after putting new DexIII in.
You sure they got all the old fluid out?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i flushed mine at 85k and it runs like a total POS now and im only at 89K start running like a pos at about 87K

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man that sucks. I hear that it is pretty hit or miss from truck to truck. Anyone ever heard of running the cheapest Walmart brand sh!t tranny fluid and changing it every 15k?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I would stick with mercon lv or sp.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts