Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the max boost to be safe , i don't want to do the head job for now . when i tow my toyhauler it weight about 15k and climb a hill , what do you think i should see , i don't want to climb over 1200 deg on the EGT, and on the boost what's the max to be safe ?

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
What do you think is the max boost to be safe , i don't want to do the head job for now . when i tow my toyhauler it weight about 15k and climb a hill , what do you think i should see , i don't want to climb over 1200 deg on the EGT, and on the boost what's the max to be safe ?
Are you stock?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i have gauges , but do you think i can climb a hill go to about 25-26 on boost for maybe 30sec and be safe not to hammer the head gasket , tell if i can hit 30 on boost and be still be safe thanks

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
Yes i have gauges , but do you think i can climb a hill go to about 25-26 on boost for maybe 30sec and be safe not to hammer the head gasket , tell if i can hit 30 on boost and be still be safe thanks
I wouldn't worry too much about hitting 25-26 psi even 30 psi for short periods. I don't know how much you have read about these 6.0 engines but some trucks are stretching headbolts and blowing headgaskets with everything completely stock. What year is your truck and is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mine is a 2005 , the warranty is finish, but i tend to be light on the foot to keep it for long . that's why i want these info thanks !

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
fireball, dhanna6 has you pretty much covered. One thing to realize is that in stock trim these turbos can push enough air into the cylinder to stretch the bolts. Keeping it under 30psi is your best bet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I am towing up some nasty Arizona mountains I get close to 30 psi and stay there for 5 to 10 minutes max. I pull around the same weight maybe a little less. I also have a 05 PSD FX4. I am completly stock for now, but this week I am getting my exhaust and next week my SCT so we shall see how it does after that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guy's i think i will worry a little less now , but give me news with your exhaust if you see the difference in power ,and wich model have you choose also i'm sure you will like the SCT it's unreal .

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't know how much you have read about these 6.0 engines but some trucks are stretching headbolts and blowing headgaskets with everything completely stock.
HOW COMMON? Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's not the boost you should really worry about as much as the EGT's. The stock turbo starts to loose efficiency after 32 psi boost anyway due to drive pressure. 28 is very good boost. I don't remember the figure exactly but for each degree of timing you add it's like adding a HUGE amount of boost. Boost actually helps keep your EGT's in check since it's adding air to the motor. Adding more fuel (via programming) is what raises your EGT's.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
It's not the boost you should really worry about as much as the EGT's. The stock turbo starts to loose efficiency after 32 psi boost anyway due to drive pressure. 28 is very good boost. I don't remember the figure exactly but for each degree of timing you add it's like adding a HUGE amount of boost. Boost actually helps keep your EGT's in check since it's adding air to the motor. Adding more fuel (via programming) is what raises your EGT's.
Yeah, but the EGT's aren't what stretches headbolts. That is a result of high boost pressure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
HOW COMMON? Is this something I should be worried about?
05 are an updated head design which are less prone to streching. They shoulda just contracted ARP or ATS out instead but if your 05+ I wouldn't worry to much. When I my tq locks in overdrive I can spike to 30psi, but average around 27 probably.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts