Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much boost is safe? How much is stock? Ive got a late 99 with the 7.3, DIY intake, straight pipe, AIH delete. Soon to be adding a boost valve relief(fooling the map), superchips flashpaq, dieselsite adj wastegate controller, boost and egt gauges. No internal work or studs. Just wondering what boost pressure to set the wastegate conroller at to be a safe boost level for mostly just all around driving, i dont tow anything much more than 6000 pounds. All help greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Stock up to 17 psi.

Chipped.... anything beyond 28psi is just moving hot air. Doubt you'll see 28 with a super chips though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anything bad about the superchips tuners? Who would be suggested for about the $400 price to still give good driveablility and not trash my tranny?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Custom tunes for sure. Skip the superchips.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the superchips Flash Pac on mine and will be ordering a PHP tune soon. The nice thing about the superchip is I can adjust for tire size other than that makes alot of noise. Injectors rattle alot when getting on it and I dont really like how the tranny shifts. It lets it shift real late, to high in the RPMs for my liking. You can get a chip from PHP for a bit less than $400 with 6 tunes!!!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
How is superchips not a custom tune? I wouldn't buy one and have a TW but i'm just curious.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your going to find ALOT of varying opinions on here as to what programmer to use. Take a look at your needs, research the various tuners and pick what best suits your needs. I personally run Superchips flashpaq. Nothing wrong with it my book. 02` 7.3 135K (89 when I bought it) and it runs like a top. Trans shifts fine, adjustment for tire size is great, and the price is decent. Pick which one you want.

BTW, that 7.3 is bulletproof within reason. Push a stock one too hard and your choice of tuner will be the least of your worries.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks yall. the truck i got only has 150k on it so its still fairly fresh, and it was a 60-65 yr old mans truck. Is PHP a custom tuning shop? How do i get in touch with them?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
How is superchips not a custom tune? I wouldn't buy one and have a TW but i'm just curious.
Umm... Superchips is a generic tuner. Meaning, it is off the shelf, it is not tuned for the specific truck and its mods, or for the owners driving style and wants etc.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
thanks yall. the truck i got only has 150k on it so its still fairly fresh, and it was a 60-65 yr old mans truck. Is PHP a custom tuning shop? How do i get in touch with them?
Yes PHP is one of the best out there. They are members on this site.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Tony Wildman, Beans, Swamps, PHP, Elite, and a few others I am missing. You cant go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks yall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want a superchip shop for one. I bought one brand new shipped for $209. I dont have it infront of me but i want to say it was the 1855. Know guys with superchips no probs....edge juice with attitude has issues. also like said before superchip has the tire size option. only part i hate is changing the tune tow, tow perf, perf.....takes 10 minutes if not more. sucks........otherwise i like it

·
Registered
363 Posts
What do you guys think about the Edge Evolution II?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
What do you guys think about the Edge Evolution II?

Get it tuned by Bill at Powerhungry performance and you will be set, but I always prefer a chip.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
40 psi or so... your not going to come close to that with stock injectors and you should not be anywhere near that on a stock turbo.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I am running around 32 lbs. on stock injectors and stock turbo. Should I be upgrading my turbo or will I be ok?
I would be looking for a upgraded turbo or a larger exhaust housing...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts