Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrapped up the install of the S&S CP4 Disaster Prevention kit about a week ago on my 2020 6.7L, checked for leaks and can't see anything from any of the connections. I'm getting strong fuel smells now, and even comes in through the vent to the cab. I thought it may be residual diesel from the install that spill down the side of the motor, but I hosed it all with brake cleaner, but the smell gets stronger when cycling the pump. I've checked for leaks with the ignition on and pump priming, as well as with the truck running. Before I tear down the upper and lower intakes again to do a closer inspection of everything, does anyone else have this kit and get a fuel smell? Whether its just from the new filter letting fumes get past, or something else to look for?

Thanks

· Registered
2016 F250 CCSB 6.7 4WD
415 Posts
Edit: I have the kit. No smell at all from the moment i installed. Runs like stock.

I would run it and spray some soapy water on the connectors. It may take a few minutes for bubbles to appear if there is a leak. I would start with the Donaldson filter. You can shine a light under the intake manifolds and look for fuel leaks before thinking about tearing it apart. It's likely at the hose re-route you did at the filter.

Did you torque the Allen socket head bolt on the bypass block to the recommended value? Torque the fittings on the aluminum block to recommended value? I'm sure a lot of people don't... a leak at the bypass block would be only reason to pull intake manifolds back out.

My money is on the filter machined aluminum block either at the filter or the connectors. On mine the hoses were slightly longer than needed and came in at an angle to the fittings for the reroute

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the response.

I pulled the intake manifolds again just go look over everything thoroughly. Primed the fuel system with the key on, no visible leaks anywhere, and I was able to get a good look at the aluminum block. Everything was torqued, and I got it all back together.

I did spray soapy water on the connectors and havent noticed any bubbles. Its strange. My only guess now is that more fuel leaked out during the install than I originally thought, and saturated either the sound deadening material or other thing below the fuel bowl and lines. I'll drive it and see if the smell eventually goes away from drying out.

My 2012 F350 had the CP4 go bad at 45K miles. With this new truck, I was hoping to get a bit of piece of mind from the CP4 disaster prevention kit.

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
The kit does not stop failure - only the disaster of having to replace the whole fuel system
would not hurt to run a lubricant in the fuel
power service or howes comes to mind

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I understand that it won't stop failure. I use Hot Shots additive and wanted the prevention kit so that if it does go, I wont be stuck replacing the entire system like I had to do with my old truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts