Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Truck was running great. couldn't be happier with build. I thought it was running a tad high EGT's, but ordered an S&B CAI because I thought it would help out a bit before I had the tune changed. Anyways, I installed it yesterday morning and now the EGT seem 150 degrees higher. 1350 half throttle getting on on-ramp. 750-800 at 70mph 3psi. Before it was 650-700. I made sure MAF sensor was plugged in, all connections were tight. It also smokes alot more now. I have soot all over the back of my truck. There are no engine codes. Took the tune out and put in the stock one. Still high. 7psi part throttle acceleration got it up to 1200 degrees. Next move is to put the stocker back in. Don't know what else to do. Any suggestions????:dunno:

Update: Switched S&B out d put it back to stock and EGT are normal. Loaded tune back in and back to normal. I don't know what the problem is, but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe next weekend Ill try it again and see if it does the same thing otherwise for sale it goes.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ECM:VXCF9N4
TCM:TQC11NA
FICM:ARZ2AL11

I thought I left a rag or something in the S&B, but nope. I did clean the MAF sensor off when I put the stock intake back on. It did have a oily film on it. I don't think it was from the S&B, I think it was like that. I should have cleaned it before I put the S&B on. I just never thought the truck would run so hot wth just an intake syatem. I thought the sucking sound from the S&B was it sucking hard because it wasn't getting enough air? I will try it again another day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I installed my S&B about 2 weeks ago and didnt notice my egts running any hotter. I wonder if its something in your tune? Are your injectors bigger than stock? Were your tunes adjusted for that?

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
I installed my S&B a couple weeks ago... Noticed cooler temps, quicker spool up time, and more power!

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
You most definitely shouldn't be seeing higher EGTs. Are you sure that the intake was installed correctly (mainly meaning everything was tight, no air leaks). Check the filter itself and see if there's anything "funny" about it, also check the piping.

I would also allow adequate time to let the truck adjust to the new hardware. The truck may be trying to adjust the fuel for the extra air it's getting now. Let it learn, give it time, and watch your temps. Record them starting from 50 and go up in increments of 5mph (ie 50,55,60,65,70 etc...) to see what boost is and EGTs are at cruising speeds - on level ground.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
since you are running a VXCF9 strat can you check your MAF readings? if you can, what are they in g/s @ idle and WOT

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
You most definitely shouldn't be seeing higher EGTs. Are you sure that the intake was installed correctly (mainly meaning everything was tight, no air leaks). Check the filter itself and see if there's anything "funny" about it, also check the piping.

I would also allow adequate time to let the truck adjust to the new hardware. The truck may be trying to adjust the fuel for the extra air it's getting now. Let it learn, give it time, and watch your temps. Record them starting from 50 and go up in increments of 5mph (ie 50,55,60,65,70 etc...) to see what boost is and EGTs are at cruising speeds - on level ground.
Strange thing is trucks maf sees less air due to the bigger diameter at the maf location. Thought something was wrong when I installed my S&B last week. Put stock back on maf perameters whent up. Reinstalled S&B, maf readings whent down. Egt lowered with S&B. Only thing I can think of is maf direction correct, used foam gasket?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
since you are running a VXCF9 strat can you check your MAF readings? if you can, what are they in g/s @ idle and WOT
Mine at idle with stock intake is 29, with S&B is 26.5. These are avg. # bounce around. Max stock was 370 with S&B 300 max.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Mine at idle with stock intake is 29, with S&B is 26.5. These are avg. # bounce around. Max stock was 370 with S&B 300 max.
with the powermax+batmo and Banks intake I see 31-32 idle and 450max WOT. if IIRC stock filter setup was the same @ idle and less WOT but the WOT I would have to check again. I'm interested to see what he has.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, I will see if I can check my MAF reading today with the stock intake, then maybe put the S&B back on tonight and check again. The only thing I noticed was the S&B did not fit right . I needed to trim 1/2 inch off one the tubes. I thought it has to do with the Durastroke turbo?? There was a little hump in the tubing because the i couldn't bolt the one piece to the bracket on the FICM. Maybe that has something to do wih it. I did drive it for over 100 miles and it never changed. High EGT and the big thing was the extra smoke at almost all throttle positions. It was all over the side of my truck after only 20 miles after I just washed the truck that morning. It doesn't get that sooty after 2 weeks of driving it. I'll check and let you know what I found.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Recorded readings this morning on the way to work with stock intake running my Looney wild tune. Maf reading were 33-34 at idle and 460 wot. This is with stock intake, stock filter. Did it twice to verify. Egt's and boost were @ 60 mph. 630. 3 psi, @ 65 mph 630 3 psi, @ 70 mph 680 3 psi. I will change back to S&B tonight and check again.

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Any updates?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update. I ended up switching back to the S&B this weekend. I ended up cutting 1" off the piece where the MAF sensor goes because it didn't line up. Now it lines up perfect. It seems not to whistle as much and the temps seem in check. MAF reading are 29-30 at idle and 380 at WOT. Ran it all day Saturday and everything seemed fine. Loaded up my new SPD tune and man this tune runs really cool. Going to tune my FICM today and see what happens. Maybe it was because the tubing didn't line up and there was a little hump that was causeing a restriction or just a disruption in airflow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts