Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 2035 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
(yes, I already posted this a few months back, just putting it here for reference...)

1. What do you tow/have (makes and models are helpful)?

Thats a 2014 Escape 21', from Escape Trailers in Canada... Its an all molded fiberglass trailer, 21' overall (hitch to bumper), 4500 lbs GVW rating. Has wet bath(shower, toilet), large fridge/freezer, 28 gallons fresh water, plenty of holding capacity, dual golf cart batts, 160W solar, nearly-queen bed (RV beds are notoriously undersized, this one is actually a modified FullXL). Nice dinette, 3-burner stove with oven.​

2. What made you choose this one?

Our 2nd fiberglass trailer, the first, a Casita 16', was just too small for the two of us. We looked at Escapes and Bigfoots, and decided we liked the size and layout of this one the best. having a semi-walkaround bed was a big plus, so one of us doesn't have to climb over the other to make a midnight bathroom run.​

3. Any makes/models/brands that you would suggest I avoid completely (and why)?

Almost all of the "stick built" mass market trailers are very poorly made. We looked at a lot. Settled on Fiberglass, where you have only a few choices, Casita and Scamp for tiny trailers, Escape for midsized, and Bigfoot and Oliver at the high end.​

4. Any tips/tricks to purchasing (i'll go in there already having my ducks in a row as far as financing is concerned)?

pay cash. buy used direct from someone selling on a model-specific forum.​

5. What are some mistakes you made that I can learn from as a rookie?

Our first fiberglass was just too small for us. was fine when I was solo.​

6. Any trailer/camping extras that you have now that you wish you would have purchased originally?

I wish this one had the outside shower sprayer option, and eventually I'll add it. Otherwise, all we've added is gear we're carrying, like a hand grinder for making coffee off grid. a 10x10 popup awning for extra shade when we're camping in exposed areas, etc.​

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
OK back to the top with more questions :D

Weight distribution hitches with anti-sway - what are you guys using and why? Pros/Cons?

-jokester

·
Registered
319 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts

Weight distribution hitches with anti-sway - what are you guys using and why? Pros/Cons?

-jokester
I am using the husky ts, It is inexpensive, easy to use, and is holding up very well in my opinion. It is a solid setup with no chains so it is a bit noisy but it doesn't need a separate sway control and you don't have to disconnect anything to back up. Its $308.42 on amazon right now for the one with the 800-1200# bars compared to the equalizer e2 for almost $700. I have a curt 2.5 shank hooked up to it now that I have the 18 F350 that needed a bit more drop which was another $130, but all in all still a good price and it has mostly good reviews 4.6 out of 5 star on amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
I use Husky Centerline TS ( very similar / knock off of an Equlizer ). however my bars are only for up to 1000 lbs I need 1200 +. Tongue weight spring bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,471 Posts

-jokester
Just something to remember. Not all WD system allow you to back up while its all hooked up. Curt, Drawtite, husky, B&W, any big name brand should do you just fine. Just remember to set it up properly or it wont ride the best. I use a huksy 5th wheel, curt gooseneck, and a curt adjustable drop ball for bumper pulls and never a single issue for 5th wheels, hay trailers, skidsteers etc.

Etrailer has some of the best prices/selections. ps sometimes you can use etrailer to find the model you want and get it on amazon. Saved a few hundred that way. I have also directly ordered from them a dozen times. Installing hitches on cars, friends vehicles, when I get a newer/different truck etc.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
@jokester00 if you’re not light in the wallet , the Hensley Arrow is the best hitch you can buy bumper pull.

I have a wife and 2 daughters - my wallet defies the laws of gravity... :grin:

-jokester

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
@jokester00, you'll get about as many opinions on WDH as you will oil. The most important thing is that it is set up correctly and the trunion bars are the right ones.
Now for the opinion part- we've used Blue Ox Sway Pro for years. Partly because that was the first one we ever got lol. Also, the chain makes it easier to adjust for changes in the weight of the toy hauler. There may be 1 to 3 motorcycles in it. I feel initial set up is also easier because there are no shim adjustments. It is pretty quiet except in really tight turns. Speaking of which, I can turn full lock with 40' following me and there is no binding.
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution-Hitch/Blue-Ox/BXW2000.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIotr3_oXy5wIVGsDICh0kxgjYEAQYASABEgJFtvD_BwE

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Thanks for all the replies so far, guys! I have been looking since I posted this, and a lot of the ones you guys mentioned are the ones i'm looking at. I DO want one that I don't have to unhook to back up - just because I know myself too well :D It's inevitable that I would forget eventually and something would get broken or damaged, and if I can eliminate that right from the get-go, i'm that much ahead!

Still looking at makes/models from different manufacturers. We have an RV show coming up the middle of March here in Portland that the wife and I are going to, in order to see all the options.

Keep 'em coming!

-jokester

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey, also, when you decide on one check the Facetube marketplace or Craigslist. You may get lucky. I have seen used ones for as little as $200. Folks up/ downgrade their trailers and get a new set up. You would be surprised how many people do not know they can replace just the bars and keep your hitch.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
Hey, also, when you decide on one check the Facetube marketplace or Craigslist. You may get lucky. I have seen used ones for as little as $200. Folks up/ downgrade their trailers and get a new set up. You would be surprised how many people do not know they can replace just the bars and keep your hitch.
Yessir!! Been keeping an eye on both of those for a couple months now! Some good deals to be had for sure!

-jokester

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
My sister n bro in-law just picked up a 15 keystone 37’ bunkhouse a few months back. Listed fir 22k. Said we will give you 13 k cash. The dealer took it. If you have $$ or your own financing it may be worth it to haggle / buy used.

I’ll be go eat I bought new but if I did this again. I’d go used. It’s like a car. Depreciation bites

Reading the posts. I personally don’t like chains evict us y I use the husky centerline. It dies make noise but , I do t babe to unhook. To backup and it’s a stout hitch.

But seriously what’s a little noise. It uses friction to help the sway. Does it work great fir my 34’ trailer. .... no it’s not perfect but it helps imo. So if I were you I’d Deff look into that / equalizer

Pic for attention

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
I doubt this will be 'over' until we have a robust reliable vaccine and at least 75% of the population is vaccinated.
What we need currently (vaccine is at least a year away) is an antibodies test to see who's had/been exposed and has the antibodies to fight it, and who hasn't/doesn't. This could assist the process of getting everything back up and running again.

-jokester

·
Registered
319 Posts
This could assist the process of getting everything back up and running again.
-jokester
Yup. We need to get the country up and running again, with those who aren't infected, or were and are now fine. Otherwise, the country and our economy are just doomed. Down without even being fired upon.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
OK, i'm back :D

Anyone have experiences with a Keystone Ultra Light Grand Touring? We're looking at a 2017 2810BH model. As with any future trailer inspections, what things do I need to pay attention to and look for when/if I go check it out?

-jokester

2001 - 2020 of 2035 Posts