Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my friend has a 2000 7.3 and he lost his brakes going down a hill here at school today and it was pouring brake fluid out from a hose by the fuel tank. ive read and seen that this isnt an uncommon occurance. whats the best way to fix this, he wants to go home tomorrow and id like to try and help him out. i know the tubing is 1/4 inch but ive heard that tubing has special bends and isnt sold at dealerships is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Happened to me in the exact same spot... You're going to need to buy straight pieces of tubing from the parts store (available in like 4-5' lengths), enough unions to put them all together, a small tubing bender, and a flare fitting tool. Get the bender and flare tool from Harbor Freight. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
approximate cost and list of directions if thats not too much to ask?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I wouldn't worry about cost too much. It wont be killer or anything, it's just a few basic parts. There are no real strict steps you need to follow to do it, just apply general theory to it. In other words, you can watch any brake line tutorial if you do need it, and the steps will all be roughly the same from vehicle to vehicle.

In fact, here's a video you can take a look at. I didn't check how helpful it was, but expertvillage puts thousands of how to's on youtube, so it should be half decent.
If you find you still don't understand what is involved, I would suggest searching youtube or google for more brake line tutorials, there is bound to be quite a few.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Cost should be under $50 for the line and associated parts Directions? Bend new line to shape of old line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts