Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I flushed my coolant with distilled water last year using the gooch method.

Water pump went out yesterday got it all put back together and noticed all my coolant was more orange than green what I put in last year.

Should I use a detergent or solvent to flush it this time?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Just do a 60/40 or 50/50 water/coolant mix and let the coolant do the work. The only point of coolant is to prevent rust/corrosion and freezing.

Put the mix in and do a flush every oil change until it looks good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess I should of said I was planning on doing a flush anyway due to the nature of the water pump failure.

Got the impeller and mangled it up good and there was some metal shavings that may of made its way through.

So I wanted to flush to be safe. Figured I'd try to take care fi the rust problem as well

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah definitely the worst case of water pump going out I've ever seen lol

Funny thing is it never made any noise or symptoms of going out.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
What does the bottom of the water pump look like? There must have been some evidence from the weep hole.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Also the amount of "play-doh" RTV on the thermostat housing tells me the preventive maintenance wasn't taken too seriously.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never saw anything leak from weep hole.

Driving into work. All of a sudden everything seemed just a hair off then boom antifreeze smell heard the belt come off then lost the usual.

Limped it to a parking lot.

Hahahahhaha I was waiting for someone to call it out!!!! That was last year with the aforementioned flush.

Went to pull the thermo and of course one bolt breaks off. So tightened it back up applied a liberal amount of the red stuff and off we went.

Reactions: White95f250

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
We've all been there. I broke a couple off and a buddy of mine just swapped his water pump with a broken bolt.

Surprised that sealed as long as it did. Some anti seize on the bolts will pay off in the future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it all went back together with the silver anti seize.

When it first happened and I smelled the coolant and didn't have time to look at it before a buddy picked me up to go on into work I was 90% sure it was the rtv that let loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts