Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a few times lately. Over 90 degs out side and the AIR on. On my way home in the evening after driving stop and go all day. When I get in it and drive at 3000 to 3200. it starts to feel as if Im starting to run out of fuel. Engine shakes badly! I can step on the clutch and it stops shaking, but as soon as I try to drive regularly it shakes again but not nearly as badly. I have NO MODs so I have no idea, maybe a fuel pump issue? Maybe a heat issue? But I drove it moch HOTTER last year and had no problems with it. I thank you guys in advance!

Note I have notice if I stop walk in Wal Mart or A parts Place and come uot it doesnt do it again untill it gets hot and the RPMs go over 3K

Buddy

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Have you tried checking the fuel pressure at 3000? The pump may be getting weak.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummmmm how much work is a pump?
Ummmm Where the pump?

How do you check the pressure at 3000?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump going bad. pump is in valley of motor. just did mine, thats what mine did. let me know if problem persists/ gets worse. i can walk you through it. if possible check fuel pressure like pipelayer said. keep us posted

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best place to buy one? About how much should I expect to pay for one. Can I do this in one day?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
why are you driving at 3200 rpm's? mines always under 2000 unless i get on it. (automatic)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passing or trying to get in front of idiots? 3000 or 3200 RPS there so close.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
ur not even making much power at 3200 anyway esp if ur bone stock

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
Best place to buy one? About how much should I expect to pay for one. Can I do this in one day?
$147 from ford. did mine in 2.5 hrs.:thumb:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well today it started about 27 maybe 28K. takes about 5 miles or so to smooth out.

Really have younever runs your to 3000? its notthat hard. and from what is happening its getting worse fast.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Just put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel test fitting on the side of the filter housing and see what fuel pressure you are running at different RPM's. Let us know what you come up with. If your fuel pressure is good, you may want to have codes pulled from the CPU.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I didnt check the fuel pressure but I did change the pump. It was fine for a couple of days then right back to the same ol stuff. It was only on very hot afternoons but is starting to become more regular. Any chance Im sucking the fuel bowl dry? Or low even? How does the fuel get up to the fuel bowl?

Oh and thanks for the info before!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
On the 99 my truck there is a electric fuel pump on frame rail direcly under the drivers door.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
99 was the first year of the new truck. Its notat all like the 97's and before.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sounds like maybe the dual mass flywheel if it has one or clutch??

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem comes and goes. It seems to be worse when its hot. ( Hot outside )
I pull the band trailer , this past weekend it was cool and i pulled it all day with no problem then Monday it warmed up and it started all over again.

Theres no dual mass on it now. When it starts if I let it idle for 30 secs or so it will stop. If I turn it off then restart it it also stops.

·
Registered
134 Posts
before you replace the pump, change the fuel filter. they plug up on occasion and cause a lot of grief. my truck did the same thing when i bought it. i replaced the filter and holy hell, she runs mint

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have changed the fuel filter, twice. I change it every other oil change too. Im at a lose. I may even take it to the Dealership.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got it to act up on the way home today. I opened up the fuel bowl and was surprised to fine it almost full. I did find some trash. not alot of it though. Im at a lose!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts