Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six months ago the seller of my 2004 F250 diesel told me that she runs out of fuel when the gage reads half full. He had bought it at an auction. One day I let it run down and sure enough at a little more than half empty she stalled and had to be refueled before starting.

The max she will take is 17 gallons. Is there some reserve tank on these trucks that would make it run out at half full or is there something else going on? Maybe I need to pull the tank and see what's going on.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Buddy i'm not expert but sounds like you either got a tank issue likes somethings in there!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 6.0 short bed holds 29 gallons and i try never to go below a 1/4 tank but have a couple times and it's never even spuddered once in 96k plus miles. Something is wrong.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I assume you have a 38gal tank?
Sounds like the pickup tube broke off in the tank

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
My vote is for something wrong with the pickup tube. Drop your tank, figure out what's wrong and while your in there do the harpoon mod. I ran dry on my tank ONCE and a couple months later I needed to replace an injector. Never ran low again and never had to replace another injector.

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Harpoon mod
Adding a fuel sump is a real good idea since you'll be dropping the tank anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
most of the tomew if it runs out of fuel at a 1/4 tank your pickup in tank has a small orange diaphram on it,when this fall out it cannot draw fuel under the diaphram hole so thats your issue!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
most of the tomew if it runs out of fuel at a 1/4 tank your pickup in tank has a small orange diaphram on it,when this fall out it cannot draw fuel under the diaphram hole so thats your issue!
I agree, one of these

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
I agree, one of these

yep see the round thing on the other side above screen thats the orange diaphram that comes out!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Here's the part # E5TZ9J306BA

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been a long time since you guys gave the advice on replacing the pickup (part number E5TZ9J306BA). Since then I have not allowed the tank to become less than half full. Now I'm planning to move from Florida to Washington state and I finally bought the part and had my mechanic install it. That was indeed the problem. It works perfectly now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Drop the tank, take the packaged cocaine out, so you can get the whole 38 gals in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts