Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it's hot, like it was yesterday driving my motorhome from Corpus Christi to Dallas (107F), my temps will be running very high all the time. Usually ECT 224, EOT about 234-237. If I climb a hill the temps can get as high as 234/240 respectively. The cooling fan comes on at 226-228 ECT and quickly will bring the temps back down. Yesterday after a slight hill climb I was idling in traffic and saw my ECT climb to 234 ECT. Later I was able to pull over and I check the coolant level, about a quart of coolant had puked out. I checked my codes and a PO-401 (EGR flow insufficient) had been thrown. This exact same senario happened to me last month driving in the hot Arizona Desert. I took it to the dealer and they pressure checked the system, road tested it, etc. I asked them to specifically check the head gaskets. They claimed all was good. I figured the coolant just got to hot and boiled over. I am always under heavy load cause the motorhome weighs about 14K loaded. I have never seen any smoke coming out of the tail pipe but it is almost impossible to observe it through the mirrors on the motorhome, but I have seen no residue in the tailpipe. Like everyone else owning a 6.0 PS I am concerned that my oil cooler may be restircted and the EGR cooler has ruptured or is about to rupture.

I am desperate to either do something to get the engine to run cooler, or perhaps put my mind at ease by excepting that it is just a product of the heat and heavy load and that all will be OK.

As a side note I have done the comprehensive flush on my motor and am now running CAT ELC coolant. Lots of silicat goo was observed during the flush.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1,023 Posts
i would invest in the bullet proof diesel egr cooler. Or if you can get away with it, the EGR delete kit. That usually has brought coolant temps down considerably.

The dealership that you took it to, bring it back to them fully loaded, this way they have No excuse to say we couldnt repeat the event. Most of the times i get trucks that customers claim it puked coolant etc etc and i cant replicate it, they dont tell the whole story like a dump truck i did eventually replace the Oil cooler and egr cooler guy claimed it had lost coolant. didnt tell me he had 10 yards of stone in the dump body climbing hills and towing heavy loads. i did eventually replicate it after he brought it back with dirt in the box and a trailer with a small john deere backhoe on it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how's it going, thanks for responding. I can get away with the egr delete if I can prevent the check engine light so I can pass the yearly inspection. Texas doesn't smog check motorhomes, but the check engine light is a show stopper. I want to tow a vehicle behind my motorhome but don't dare with the temps I am seeing.

I remember you telling me how dreadful changing the oil cooler is on these E series trucks, that has me worried a bit.

1,023 Posts
how's it going, thanks for responding. I can get away with the egr delete if I can prevent the check engine light so I can pass the yearly inspection. Texas doesn't smog check motorhomes, but the check engine light is a show stopper. I want to tow a vehicle behind my motorhome but don't dare with the temps I am seeing.

I remember you telling me how dreadful changing the oil cooler is on these E series trucks, that has me worried a bit.
still under warranty? if so you got mail.
the whole check engine light you can always get any of the tuners that are out there to change it to not run the check engine light.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
If you have silicate goo in your cooling system, your oil cooler is clogged (indicated by your higher EOT temps). You may have read about BulletProof releasing their remote mount oil cooler kit for the E-series chassis' in the latest version of Diesel Power magazine. I have it on my truck and it solved my constant problem of rupturing EGR coolers. If you have to replace your oil cooler and EGR cooler you may as well do it right the first time and not have to deal with it again. One of the best choices I have ever made! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the remote oil cooler would be great, costly but well worth it in the long run. What's holding me back on pulling the trigger on both the remote oil cooler and the EGR delete is a good mechanic. I can handle some things, (like a coolant flush) but a job like this is out of my league. Anyone know a good diesel mech in the Dallas area?

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Looks like there are 12 installers within 100 miles of Dallas, Texas according to BulletProof's locator.

LINK

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hit up 2033 Motorsports if you can get down there, they are awesome!
They helped some family members of friends of mine when they broke down.
Ask for Jack.
:thumb:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Yeah, my 5th wheel toy hauler is 12k lbs, so I know exactly what you are talking about!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you're running the BulletProof oil cooler, I think I'm about to jump in on that mod, as well as the EGR cooler at the same time.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I see you're running the BulletProof oil cooler, I think I'm about to jump in on that mod, as well as the EGR cooler at the same time.
If you are still on the fence, give them a call and ask them some questions. You will quickly realize that they know what they are talking about and have spent considerable time and money into researching these problems and creating solutions to fix those problems. Last time I was there, a rather well known shipping company was working on a deal to buy some of their products. That doesn't happen by accident. :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes, I have talked to them, they are very helpful and their website is great too. I'm sold, thanks loads for the input

1 - 16 of 16 Posts