Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know..."Never go to Wal-Mart except for toilet paper and socks"...but, I was in a hurry, the bays were empty, and since they use the same oil I've used since I bought it, I figured, "what could they possibly screw up???" Well, from the time I got back in it, something ain't right !!! I took it back to check for loose wires or ANYTHING, and they found nothing (one wire was semi-loose, but that didn't change anything)..

I drag race motorcycles and consider myself "pretty mechanically inclined", but I can't figure it out. It seems like it is choking for either fuel or air whenever I try to get on it, or at mid-range RPM. I checked the air filter and plumbing, and also changed both fuel filters, and nothing changed. If I'm on the expressway doing about 70 or 75 MPH and start up a long hill, I end up having to let off the pedal and then stomp it down so that it will downshift and continue up the grade. It also seems to drag second gear out before shifting to third, and then sometimes "bucks" at about 45 or 50 MPH.. I use this truck to pull my 24' race trailer and have never had a problem, but now, I don't think it'll even pull it. I'm losing alot of power somewhere and can't figure out where...It's almost like the Turbo's not turning, but I can hear it... Looking through this forum and other places, I see that it can be a million different things...EGR, ICP, IPR, etc, etc....Any ideas on how to maybe narrow down some of the possibilties?? Also, do the "cold air intakes" and programmers do all that the manufacturers say they will do, or would my money be better spent elsewhere?? Thanks for your time, in advance...By the way, I like this forum. I'll learn a lot..
:doh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
any thoughts on which way to go, as far as chips/programmer. I use this truck daily in my business and drive approx. 150 to 250 miles per day...and then turn around and use it to pull the race trailer on weekends. So, I guess I need something to help with fuel mileage during the week and then give it that extra "umph" on the weekends..

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
what do you have? a 6.0 or a 7.3? for a 6.0 id get sct with custom tunes from innovative

if you have a 7.3 id get tony wildman tunes or a dp tuner or ts performance chip they are all about the same but with tony you get free reburns

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wouldn't even let them touch it for tires either. I went to wm for tires once and they had my truck that weighed 9500 lbs at the time on lift rated for 8000 lbs (and I even told them about it ahead of time). So they took it off the lift, and used 3 jacks to lift the whole thing up. They started taking wheels of and it was teeter-toddering! I told them to put the wheels back on and set it down, got the managers home number and left. Sorry for the hijack, had to share.

Def check the oil level. They don't realize how much oil they take sometimes. Also check the filter to make sure its seated correctly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree about not going there anymore...not even for tires. My last set from there had to be rotated after every race (from pulling trailer) or the truck would bounce all over the road..Once rotated, it was fine....CRAZY !!! It's a 6.0L motor...Funny you should mention "low on oil"..I took it to Ford and found out that it has the wrong dipstick, so I ordered one and can pick it up tomorrow.. This has happened before (as far as not running right) and it had "too much oil", and nobody mentioned the fact that the dipstick was wrong...Amazingly, the guy from Wal-Mart remarked that he couls "swear" that a 6.0 dipstick should be flat, not round (like mine is)....so, that could very well be the problem. I'm picking it up first thing in the morning and if that's the case, I'll definitely let the forum know... and my next purchase will have to be a programmer..Thanks for advice as to which one..:thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
15 quarts in my 2006 f250.

how many miles on the truck? I've heard people on here saying to clean your egr valve because it tends to get gummed up after time.

I just had my fuel filters changed, my tranny powerflushed, my coolant changed, and changed the engine oil and all of a sudden I was experiencing the same thing you were discribing in the beginning. Cleaning my egr valve is next on my maintenance plans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Everybody !!! Okay, we've now gotten into which programmers are best, and while I was waiting for replys, I jumped over to look at the SCT.. Well, that "look-up" led me to "Ford Truck Enthusiasts" forum and I started reading what everybody THERE had to say about different ones (obviously, this new A2 that's about to come out is coolest thing since air shifters...and EXPENSIVE)..but now, I'm pretty confused. I don't know if I want a programmer or module.. What's the difference? I see that some can be changed "on the fly" while others take 10-minute downloads...
.. I'll just explain what I actually want, or need, and ya'll can suggest accordingly..and, by the way, Thanks for your time !!!
Here goes:
1) Power..not necessarily "drag strip" power, but I want it to get up and go when I hit the pedal (like passing on 2-lane highways, in a curve, with another car coming right at ya)
2) Top end...sometimes I just gotta be able to go faster than 98 MPH
3) I tow to Indy, Gainesville, Houston, Bristol, Atlanta, etc, etc..some of the tracks are 600 to 700 miles away from home
4) Fuel mileage..I drive hundreds of miles per day since I live in the country and have to drive back and forth to Memphis and surrounding towns within a couple hundred miles
5) Something that won't ruin my tranny or turbo.. I've read, and been told that some "tunes" will make the turbo overheat (especially if you don't have a turbo temp. guage)
and now, I just read in that other forum that a "tune" can ruin your transmission..How is that? Heat?
6) I'm not racing this truck, but I do want performance..When I just "HAVE" to do the quarter mile in a few seconds, then I can always jump on one of my dragbikes and do it like that.. I don't want to put something on the truck that will jeopardize reliability...

...So there ya go guys (and girls)...any help, suggestions, or sound advice will be highly appreciated, not to mention, it will probably keep another drag racer off of the shoulder of the expressway (God only knows that about 10 or 12 people have that problem at nearly every race) :icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
As far as your programmer issues. With the 6.0 IMHO, the ONLY way to go is SCT with CUSTOM tunes. They are not shift fly, takes about 10 minutes to change tunes. I drive daily on Innovative Diesels Xtreme Street program. Great mpg (round 18 to 20) if your cruisin or traveling, jump on the loud pedal and you are gone..... And you can get tow tunes for when you wanna pull. The advantage of the SCT versus other "name brand" power adders, is the transmission. A custom tune with an SCT uploads two things into your truck, one is the Engine Control Parameters and the other is the Trans Control. It firms up the shifts in anticipation of the increased power.

The only real thing you NEED to do before you tune it, is GAUGES GAUGES GAUGES!!! Cannot stress the importance of being able to monitor what the truck is doing. The most common is boost, Exhaust Gas Temp, and Trans Temp. EGTs are your biggy to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep...that's what I heard....GUAGES !!!! I looked some up on "xtremediesel.com" and they have the kind I want (which are the ones that fit on the front driver's side pillar, where that handle is) They come in either 2, 3, 0r 4 cluster sets..My truck has a factory trans temp guage (go figure because that's about it other than fuel and oil temp and pressure)..So, is the "pyrometer" guage the exhaust gas guage?? A volt meter would probably be nice, too, because I just replaced the altenator and had no idea it was going out until it was too late...
By the way, I'm SURE I heard a "collective" laugh throughout this forum after I posted the last post about "running out to the truck and checking the EGR valve"....yeah, RIGHT... I went to several other forums looking for some tips on getting it out and decided to stop after reading the "crowbar" method by pulling on the tabs. Obviously, somebody makes a Ford EGR puller because that thing's nearly impossible...BUT, while I was out there, I ran through all the wiring on the top and sides of the motor. Like I stated before, the first time I took it back to Wal-Mart, the kid found that the EGR valve wire was loose. Well, just now, I found that the wires going to the throttle body were ALSO loose !!!! Reckon if the 'ol boy from Wal-Mart did some shananigans so that later he could look like a hero?? Both of those sets of wires have locking tabs and don't just "come loose"!!!! I'm gonna drive it in a little while and we'll see if that was it.. Oh yeah, Ford DOES make an EGR valve puller...I just found one....I knew it!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
EGT, trans temp and boost are definitely the most common, but on the 6.0 a fuel pressure gauge can be a life saver. Low fuel pressure can become a more expensive problem than just about anything. You want around 50-60psi, and anything lower than 45 will kill injectors, just ask my poor skinny wallet about that issue.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Ok back to the original issue. Did the truck become sluggish immediately after the wallyworld oil change. If so I have your answer. They used the WRONG OIL:doh: Not a huge shock from those guys

As to the Oil capacity thing. All 7.3 and 6.0 powerstrokes take 15 Quarts. No more no less:thumb:

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
i totally agree with dave, it seems like they didnt add enough or they used the wrong stuff.

my buddy brought his h3 there and they took his skid plate off and never put it back on..when he went back the guys said well for next time when you come here it will just make it easier for us to change the oil...he has not been back since

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.