Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck runs VERY rough when cold. When I start the truck in the morning, ECT and EOT is usually between 50-60 and it runs rough for a couple seconds until you can hear the turbo whistle then it sounds normal. When I drive it (I don't let it idle because my mom complains she can smell the exhaust in the house). If I drive it like I normally would when it's warmed up like I'm getting up to speed it jumps like it's running out of fuel but doesn't die. I'm leaning toward stiction, I haven't run Archoil for 15k miles but I added a Hot shot's secret diesel extreme 2500 miles ago which is supposed to clean injectors and be some magic snake oil.

Anyway I've been looking into causes and what to look for for stiction and the injector clatter sounds normal (truck is currently warm though, I'll try again when it's cold), and as it's warm at idle I show MAP at 14, Baro at 14.7, EBP at 2, load at 11%, FICM at 47.5, Bat V at 13.8 (one or both is bad, when I started it up it was at 11 something then got to 13.8 in the time it took me to take a picture), ICP V at 0.9, VGT % at 63, ECT at 142 EOT at 141, and TFT at 115. The truck was driven a couple hours before all this info, I'll get updated info when it's cold.

Does that all look normal? Anything else I should be looking at?

The jumping I'm talking about is exactly like what this guys truck is doing at 1:31, mine will only do it under moderate throttle between 40-50 and it will only jump like 3 times then I'll take my foot off the throttle and it won't do it again. FICM always stays between 47.5 and 48 though.

I should mention these numbers are using the Edge Insight CTS II, and it is not throwing any codes. Also the smoke that comes out on start up is a whiteish gray like what you see when people have bad FICM's, and it doesn't smell like normal exhaust coming out of a 6.0. I don't know if the smell is due to the fact that I only have a cat and no muffler but I can't imagine that'd make much of a difference.

The truck is cooled down a little bit and these are the current numbers: MAP psi: 14, Baro psi: 14.7, EBP 2, load 16%, FICM V: 47.5, Bat V: 11.4, ICP V: 1.1, VGT %: 67.8, ECT: 82, EOT: 83, TFT 70. These numbers are at idle and the truck ran just long enough for my Edge to get to the screen that shows these numbers (about 15 seconds).

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The 11 VDC after start up is normal. The glow plugs drain that much. Your batteries are fine. Don't know where you're at, but if its cold, maybe stiction. Guy in the video says AZ, but I take it its not your video. Watch the FICMv to make sure its stays nice and strong around 47.5 VDC and does not drop.

After that, all I can recommend is fuel pressure and checking filters and drain the water in fuel. Fuel pressure is not measured by any sensors in the truck so you'd need to purchase something for that or rent a mechanical gauge.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 11 VDC after start up is normal. The glow plugs drain that much. Your batteries are fine. Don't know where you're at, but if its cold, maybe stiction. Guy in the video says AZ, but I take it its not your video. Watch the FICMv to make sure its stays nice and strong around 47.5 VDC and does not drop.

After that, all I can recommend is fuel pressure and checking filters and drain the water in fuel. Fuel pressure is not measured by any sensors in the truck so you'd need to purchase something for that or rent a mechanical gauge.

Thank you, what does VDC stand for? I'm in WA, currently the lows have been in the mid 40's and the highs have been in the high 50's so we're far from cold right now.

I just did fuel filters (both the one in the engine bay and the one in the frame rail) about 1k miles ago, and I drained the fuel water separator today, I wasn't sure when to stop as some say you get a couple drops and some say you get a lot. It smelled and looked like straight diesel to me but I still let it drain for about 5 minutes. The FICM voltage bounces between 47 and 48.5 when I look at it which is usually when it's fully warmed up and I'm in dead stopped traffic every morning when I have nothing else to look at lol. I'll pay closer attention to it when it's cold.

I'll see about trying to monitor fuel pressure, I think they make one that will attach to the EAS system for the Edge but I'll do some more research on that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I managed to catch a clip of it jumping and I recorded a cold start if that can help anyone. The truck sat unplugged all night (left my dash cam plugged in though so batteries drained a little) and it was 50* when I started it. I was trying to make it surge because it didn't do it in the usual spot so I got into it a lot more than I usually do. I usually keep RPMS below 2250 before it's warmed up.

Cold start:

Surging:

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Mostly a free bump.

VDC is volts DC.

The FICM volts is nice and strong on the surging. Battery is at 14 volts.

The second video is a good video of it caught in action. Hopefully someone can recognize something. It is a distinctive sound. The First video, the truck starts up nice and quick and not a lot of "stiction" before it goes normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts