Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has happened 3 times now 2 times the low fuel light was on an this time it was just under 1/4 tank of fuel it will be running fine an just start running very rough losing power an vibrating very bad an then will just shut off an have to crank an crank on it to get it to refire an once it does it puffs white smoke (strong diesel smell) an I went to fill up right after that an it runs great again...

I just went last week an got the cps recall taken care of thinking it was that but still doing it...

Where do I start??

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
In your fuel tank. The factory pickup "sock" is famous for breakin off.

When mine did I was runnin outa fuel (all the symptoms you named) at about 3/8ths of a tank. All I had to do was fill the tank and it went away.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dont let your fuel get below .25 and you wont have your problems it sounds like.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
If I'm readin the OP's post right, it's only doin it at low fuel levels. If it runs with a full tank, and sputters with a quarter tank, then the pick up is broke off.

Call the dealer and ask how many of our trucks they've seen like that.

It's one of the reasons I bought an airdog with the tank kit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How nuch does a new pickup run? Dealer only item? An how hard is it to drop. The tank? Thanks guys!

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
The dealer wanted like 50 bucks for the part if I remember right.

They wanted 200 in labor though I think. The tank isn't hard to drop at all, if you can run most of the fuel out of it first. I used a floor jack and let down one end to disconnect everything, then dropped the rest of the tank. Took us longer to get the ring installed on the top of the tank than it did to drop it and install it.

Some guys will tell you to pull the bed. I do not recommend that. Just run as much fuel as you can out of it, and use a floor jack, and a buddy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks i'll have to look into this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.