Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried running the offroad diesel in the 6.4? My buddy owns a construction company and runs this offraod diesel in his 2008 duramax and everything runs fine. H e has done this on his 2007 as well and they have all the epa equipment like the 6.4. Just a thought as offroad diesel is $3.25.:dunno:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Only if it is ULSD.

It's all the same diesel, just with a concentrated dye. It just depends on the sulfur content.

·
Mod Newbie
11,881 Posts
Anyone tried running the offroad diesel in the 6.4? My buddy owns a construction company and runs this offraod diesel in his 2008 duramax and everything runs fine. H e has done this on his 2007 as well and they have all the epa equipment like the 6.4. Just a thought as offroad diesel is $3.25.:dunno:
Don't get caught. BIG fine. In Indiana it is up to a $10,000 fine. :doh:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
They pretty much got ya covered for answers, as long as it's ULSD the fuel itself is fine, but it is NOT recommended to run it on the run, cause if you get caught just once, it is heavy fines that outweigh the cost difference.

And it is Federal penalties, not local. The fines are for avoiding the road taxes that are included in the fuel prices.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
dont do it..here is why:

killed a fuel pump..and 2 injectors..all customer pay..

these trucks are picky when it come to fuel..be careful.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Ewww. What a mess!:doh:

Bet that was an exspensive out of pocket exspense.:eek:

·
Administrator
9,390 Posts
fines definatly arent worth the savings ,ive seen plenty of 6.0 with offroad in them, but the only 6.4 ive seen running offroad fuel i put a engine in it at 24,000 miles , cant say the fuel caused it but i dont think it was helping any , i also think that the tolerances in the pump and injectors cant tolerate offroad diesel for long

·
Registered
103 Posts
How are officials going to know what is in your fuel tank? Are they going to set up road blocks??:hehe:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How are officials going to know what is in your fuel tank? Are they going to set up road blocks??

They can dip your tank, especially at auctions, or any time they pull you over, so yea they will catch ya.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
Yes they do.:nod:

DOT officials set up road blocks and random checks. Used to concentrate on the road haulers, but are now hitting even the private rigs with more and more of them running offroad.

They use a wick type device to dip the tank, if you even have a smidge of dye show, your busted. It takes several tanks to flush out all the dye.

·
Registered
387 Posts
There is a way to trick them. You can run a fuel system similar to the ones the Super Dutys in the 90's used. Run one line from the stock tank, and another from a tank full of red diesel in the bed.

I've seen it done a lot down here in older trucks, so I don't see why you can't do it in these.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great tips and help guess I wont be going down that road. Lets hope these new tunes from Spartan will help mpg!

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
thats funny. thats what we were talking about. having your transfer tank piped in to the fuel lines and bypass the real tank. but also you cant get introuble for just having the dye in your system, only if you have it running on it currently. because when i am on the farm or big construction sites i will run red, i just make sure i use it all before the street and put regular back in. i have been dipped and it turned a shade of whatever they want, and i just explained to him what i do, and he said thats fine. just dont pull on the street with it in your tank

·
Administrator
9,390 Posts
How are officials going to know what is in your fuel tank? Are they going to set up road blocks??:hehe:
around here they do as a matter of fact , and as eric said , they are checking more private rigs just for that reason ,i dont see anything funny about that , take a 6.4 in the dealer under warranty and you bet the tech wont fix it under warranty with offroad diesel in it , not as bad as they are to work on anyway , alot of techs just look for a reason to make the repair not covered, if you saw what warranty pays to do most of the jobs under warranty ,trust me it doesnt pay crap

·
Administrator
9,390 Posts
There is a way to trick them. You can run a fuel system similar to the ones the Super Dutys in the 90's used. Run one line from the stock tank, and another from a tank full of red diesel in the bed.

I've seen it done a lot down here in older trucks, so I don't see why you can't do it in these.
one of my customers has 6 trucks set up like that all 6.0 , he thought the same thing till one of his guys just got busted , the irs showewd up at his facility and he ended up with 21,000 dollars in fines and he had 24 hours to get them all drained ,they came back and rechecked to make sure he did what he was supposed to the way he got caught was the dot man actually went under his truck on the side of the highway and saw his extra lines running from the tank to a switching valve from his auxiliary tank, and it was hidden fairly good, the dot is getting more aware of all the tricks

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
AINT WORTH IT IN MY OPINION!!

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Adam the out of pocket repairs gotta suck, thats for sure.
Eric you arent kidding about the paychecks in the tank its getting rediculous

·
Registered
42 Posts
It isn't worth it... yet! The way fuel prices are going up so fast the, red dye is not too far behind it. It used to be alot cheaper, but not so much anymore. They are now going as far as checking fuel filters and injectors in California!!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts