Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one ever heard of a run away? turbo seal goes bad, engine sucks the crank case oil as fuel, and the only way to stop it is to shut off the air supply.

·
Registered
42 Posts
we had a cat twin turbo in an international 7600 run away at my work one day. truck came in because it started to run away one day on the customer, but they got it shutdown somehow. So the tech who was working on it changed the first turbo, which was pushing oil. Now this was a seasoned tech, who had about 20 years of wrenching under his belt. He got it all buttoned up, but never cleaned the oil out of the charge air cooler, nor did he check the other turbo for pushing oil. He started it up, backed it out of the shop, and let it run on high idle while he cleaned up his tools and such. A minute later she started slowly revving up and just kept on going. The more it revved up, the more oil that turbo pushed into the intake and it kept running faster and faster. the tech made an attempt to get a rag in the intake but it was too late. Nobody could do a thing except stop what they were doing and watch. The motor came apart and he wound up putting a reman engine in the truck under warranty lol

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:bump::bump::bump:

·
Registered
781 Posts
very bad thing to happen things happen very quick so it you have somthing haddy you can stuff in the intake you man be able to save it. but If the thing is already reving too hight you just need to run and count you losses as you will still have you life!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
we had a cat twin turbo in an international 7600 run away at my work one day. truck came in because it started to run away one day on the customer, but they got it shutdown somehow. So the tech who was working on it changed the first turbo, which was pushing oil. Now this was a seasoned tech, who had about 20 years of wrenching under his belt. He got it all buttoned up, but never cleaned the oil out of the charge air cooler, nor did he check the other turbo for pushing oil. He started it up, backed it out of the shop, and let it run on high idle while he cleaned up his tools and such. A minute later she started slowly revving up and just kept on going. The more it revved up, the more oil that turbo pushed into the intake and it kept running faster and faster. the tech made an attempt to get a rag in the intake but it was too late. Nobody could do a thing except stop what they were doing and watch. The motor came apart and he wound up putting a reman engine in the truck under warranty lol

LOL he must not have been that smart...to have that much experience and not clean the charge air cooler, intake tubes and at least check the other turbo???? lol i bet he had a nice front office meeting LOL...

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL he must not have been that smart...to have that much experience and not clean the charge air cooler, intake tubes and at least check the other turbo???? lol i bet he had a nice front office meeting LOL...
actually he is now service manager lol...but yeah i'm not sure if he was just rushing to stay under the warranty time or what, but it was def. a costly mistake. :doh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have seen it happen on a mid 90's gm postal delivery box truck , it was towed to our shop for a no start , the tech went out pulled off the doghouse and air cleaner and hit the key it started no problem and went right wide open! luckily there was a small piece of plywood on the floor behind the doghouse that they used to sort mail he grabbed that and threw it over the intake and killed it. turns out one of the genius postal workers/mechanics forgot to tell us they thought it wouldnt start because it was low on oil so they FILLED IT! and when he cranked it over it forced the oil through the crankcase vent and in the intake!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Some detroits were known for this...there is a Oliver tractor in the hot farm circuit with an old detroit around here that everyone is scared of because they think it will run away lol

There is a story out out of the local tech school that some kid assembled an oil pump wrong and the engine ran away, instructor put a clip board on it and it sucked it in lol

Happens with some old lawn mowers too

2,850 Posts
Ive seen it happen once. My boss was operating his Case skidloader and it just went crazy all of a sudden. All he could do was put down the bucket and hold on unitl it stopped.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Up here in oil patch we have to have "deadco valve" on any motor operating within 25 meters of the well, if we ever hit H2S gas while drilling the motors will suck it in and redline till death, kinda like adding propane injection but 1000 times more potent.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Some detroits were known for this...there is a Oliver tractor in the hot farm circuit with an old detroit around here that everyone is scared of because they think it will run away lol

There is a story out out of the local tech school that some kid assembled an oil pump wrong and the engine ran away, instructor put a clip board on it and it sucked it in lol

Happens with some old lawn mowers too
most of the old 2 cycle detroits ran away not because of the turbo pushing oil, but the "rack" that operated the injectors could stick, or if the person setting the overhead or "rack" if you will did it wrong and they would ramp to full fuel like...right now lol and the only way to kill her is to suffocate it.

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
I've heard of it happenin to old detroits. I was told it'll usually rev so hard that you can't get it outa gear, but I don't really buy that part of the "story."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Heard of it, never seen it (mostly on old-school diesels). All the turbo seals I see go bad will push the oil out the stack. Some of it gets to the intake, but no enough to run away on.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Never seen it but my neighbors dad always told me to keep a trash bag handy in case it does happen. Luckily never had to use it. I'd freak out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here yall go!! I was at this pull in DeLeon when this cummins blew the intake o-ring and started to run away. I was standing on the same side as this but behind it. You can see them shoving shirts into the intake but they eventually killed it by shooting a dry chemical fire extinguisher into it. I will try to get my vid up.

YouTube - DeLeon TX - Friday, August 7, 2009 - Chris Ryan

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
That is a scray thing to watch. You wanna see a "cool" runaway. Diesel Locomotive... Had a Dash 9 GE loco drop a pwer assembly one day at work. I t sounds like a storm siren starting up and then it starts barking like 30 foot flames out of the stack!! All we can do is get everybody back and let her go. I've only seen it once and it was INSANE!!

2,850 Posts
Here yall go!! I was at this pull in DeLeon when this cummins blew the intake o-ring and started to run away. I was standing on the same side as this but behind it. You can see them shoving shirts into the intake but they eventually killed it by shooting a dry chemical fire extinguisher into it. I will try to get my vid up.

YouTube - DeLeon TX - Friday, August 7, 2009 - Chris Ryan
That motor is probably toast after having fire extinguisher spray sprayed into it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts