Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made 6 passes and ran a 15.4 every time. 60' times were 2.06-2.07. What is needed to break into the 14's? I just have the canned tunes on the SCT and plan to get Tadd's tunes very shortly.

·
Registered
738 Posts
might be the tires holding you back. A custom tune should put you in the lower 15s high 14s. I believe Maintain did a 14.9 or 14.8 with just intake, exhaust, and a DP tuner

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
I made 6 passes and ran a 15.4 every time. 60' times were 2.06-2.07. What is needed to break into the 14's? I just have the canned tunes on the SCT and plan to get Tadd's tunes very shortly.
That is still very respectable!:nod::thumb:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was tickled. I had never ran before ever and it run a 15.4 all night. I am running 305/70/16 bfg mt's. I don't plan to race much but it would be nice to brag about having a 14 second daily driver. :woot:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
those numbers arent bad at all..you gotta get your 60' down. what was your trap speed anyways? Also once you get some custom tunes on there you will be running even better..my first run ever in my truck with an SCT street file, drop in AFE, 4" straight pipe and my 4wd wasnt working right so i spun like the track was a 15.7 with like a 2.3 60"

I ran again and got my 60" down to like 2.1 or 2.00 and i ran a 14.1 @ 100mph.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think 84 was the fastest I ran. I can't remember and don't have my slips with me. What is the best way to get the 60' time down? Better tuning harder launching?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You might beable to add a fuel system with a custom chip and break into the high 14's... Anything more and you are going to need bigger injectors and turbo..$$$

You probably are going to need some tranny upgrades too!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely some good numbers

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I think 84 was the fastest I ran. I can't remember and don't have my slips with me. What is the best way to get the 60' time down? Better tuning harder launching?
this is what I have learned, the first time I went to the track I thought it was like "pinks" green light and you gotta leave RIGHT AWAY. not at all. when the green like goes your time doesn't start till you leave. You can sit there for 5 seconds if you wanted too. As far as getting your 60' times down, I take it you have 4wd? If thats the case then you put that puppy in 4 wheel and power break the truck. dont go past 2-2200 RPMS at first, see how the truck reacts to that. Hell you can even do it on the street just to practice. You can launch when you feel ready, not when the light turns green ya know? that right there will help ALOT. Believe me im heading to the track once my new sticks get here. Ive been practicing the 4wd launches alot and i feel really good about it.

A guy in a DMAX right next to me was getting like 1.7s 1.6s all night. REAL good driver but his launches were awesome. Get better at that and you will do much better next time at the track. Oh and dont worry about switching back into 2wd, it wont make a difference not till you stop anyways. Ive good 101mph in 4wd and no problems at all. Also Im turning 35s and again no problem. I want to get some smaller rubber for my stock rims, I was told that should help alot too

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was launching in 4x4 not very hard though, 1500-1600 rpm's. I was disappointed with the speed on the top end, but I realize the holeshot is where the good #'s come from.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
In 4X4 launch hard... You will not break anything...

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
this is what I have learned, the first time I went to the track I thought it was like "pinks" green light and you gotta leave RIGHT AWAY. not at all. when the green like goes your time doesn't start till you leave. You can sit there for 5 seconds if you wanted too. As far as getting your 60' times down, I take it you have 4wd? If thats the case then you put that puppy in 4 wheel and power break the truck. dont go past 2-2200 RPMS at first, see how the truck reacts to that. Hell you can even do it on the street just to practice. You can launch when you feel ready, not when the light turns green ya know? that right there will help ALOT. Believe me im heading to the track once my new sticks get here. Ive been practicing the 4wd launches alot and i feel really good about it.

A guy in a DMAX right next to me was getting like 1.7s 1.6s all night. REAL good driver but his launches were awesome. Get better at that and you will do much better next time at the track. Oh and dont worry about switching back into 2wd, it wont make a difference not till you stop anyways. Ive good 101mph in 4wd and no problems at all. Also Im turning 35s and again no problem. I want to get some smaller rubber for my stock rims, I was told that should help alot too

It doesn't hurt to launch in 4x4 and continue in it? I thought you would switch out after a certain speed.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Doesnt hurt a thing. Even if you pull it out it will still be locked in until you stop moving.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
^^^^^ What he said. All of my runs on the drag strip are in 4wd except when I forget and then it becomes a smoke show......:hehe:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Just make sure you switch it off at the end of the track before you try to turn it around to come back...

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
good to know....good to know. never run at a strip or even raced really for that matter. never wanted anyting to break that I would have to fix just because i was racing somebody :hehe:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friday was my first time, I wouldn't turn off the 4x4 til I got to the end of the strip. I will have to go back and try some harder launches now! Is a 2.06-2.07 a decent 60' time for a beginner?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Friday was my first time, I wouldn't turn off the 4x4 til I got to the end of the strip. I will have to go back and try some harder launches now! Is a 2.06-2.07 a decent 60' time for a beginner?
sounds ok... mine was a 1.98 on my first time...:crazy:

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I gota a 1.89 60' in my 2wd on stock rubber leaving the line at 1500 rpm's

1 - 20 of 22 Posts