Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rubbing Noise When Releasing Accelerator

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  poorboy1964 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Just today I started getting a loud rubbing noise every time I let off the accelerator when accelerating. It lasts for about 1-2 seconds and its really noticeable. It sounds like it's coming from the driver side wheel well. I checked for rubbing, but couldn't find anything. It rubs "faster" when my speed is higher. Any ideas? I'm starting to worry about this truck..

#2 ·
Check your fenderwells again, are you turning when it makes this noise? Take some tape, put it on the places you think it should be rubbing, drive it for a while to make the rubbing wear through the tape, then see where it is rubbing on the tap, then fix it.

#3 ·
I'm going straight when it happens. It doesn't make sense that it's rubbing. There is lots of clearance. I'm worried that it's worse than that.

#4 ·
Also if I let off the accelerator really gently, it doesn't happen at all. That's why I'm confused lol.

#5 ·
Anyone else have some ideas??

#6 ·
this is off the wall but could it be back pressure letting off or a turbo issue? the only thing I can think of that would do it on a quick deceleration

#7 ·
So, you mean the blow off valve? Or the turbo? That sounds bad. The turbo seems to work, as far as I can tell. The turbo gauge seems to be reading the same amount of boost as always when I accelerate. Other than that, how would I know if it's working? A new turbo is in my long term upgrades list...but I really don't want to have to do that soon.

Any ideas of what I could do to fix it if it's just back pressure? Also, why would it be by the driver's side wheel well? It's almost like I feel it in the pedals.

#8 ·
Also, why would it be by the driver's side wheel well? It's almost like I feel it in the pedals.
This part I am trying to understand? Could there be something loose that moves back and rubs on hard deceleration? you would think that it would happen on bumps also

#9 ·
This part I am trying to understand? Could there be something loose that moves back and rubs on hard deceleration? you would think that it would happen on bumps also
I tried it on a bump, but it doesn't happen then. Only when I quickly release the accelerator. And it happens in a straight line. Checked my wheel wells, and nothing is loose.

#10 ·
this is a shot in the dark but do you have residue around the degass cap? Mine is doing something similiar but it actually makes 2 noises. Sometimes it sounds like a tea kettle whistle others it sounds like a slight growl. I am pretty positive mine just needs a new cap. Its a shot in the dark but hopefully your problem is something as simple as mine. I will be replacing my this weekend when I get around to buying one.

#11 ·
I'll check when I get back to my truck next week. There wasn't any spillage or residue last week when I took a look. But I'll look to see if there is any recently.

#12 ·
Weird thought...could it be my newly installed cold air intake? It's an S&B. Maybe a newly installed one of those could create that noise??

#14 ·
Talked with the guy who installed my cold air. Apparently it's totally normal when you go from the stock filter to a new intake. The engine gets more air, so it also has to release more air when you let off the go pedal when boost is already built. Phew! Such a relief!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.